Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Argotect. Does it work?

Default Argotect. Does it work?

Hi!
    I've been making silver jewellery for a long time, but at the moment I am making some large plain silver pendants and having real problems with firestain showing up!! I have thought about trying Argotect before but haven't been sure about it, but I might give it a try now! Has anyone else used it or have any tips about preventing firestain in general?

The experts willl wake up soon to help you
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away

Yes, it works. I don't use it all the time, but it is handy to have around. I also use FM solution, which is similar to Prips flux.

Default Argotect and firestain

Thank you for your responses everyone! I think I will give it a try. I haven't noticed firestain too much before as other pieces I've made have been a bit more detailed or textured, and maybe if firestain was there it didn't show up. But now on a large plain silver piece it's really obvious! What is FM solution? I've read about Pripps flux but wouldn't know where I would buy the 'ingredients' to make it.

FM and Prips are very similar in makeup - http://www.ganoksin.com/orchid/archi...7/msg00079.htm

Rose Chemicals in the UK were happy to supply me with what I needed for my last batch.

For the future have you considered using Argentium silver? It's firestain resistance (and tarnish resistance) is very good.

I use argotect occasionally, but still prefer to pickle and polish. But I rather enjoy polishing.

Rose Chemicals in the UK were happy to supply me with what I needed for my last batch.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that! While I'm on the subject of flux - a jobbing jeweller friend once gave me a solution he'd made up that he used when doing repairs. So if he was repairing a highly polished chain, for example, he would dip the item in this solution and the polish would be retained during soldering so he wouldn't need to keep re-polishing items. I might be completely wrong!! But I'm sure it was made from boric acid or borax or rouge powder in methylated spirits or something? Can anyone 'enlighten' me?!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Taylor View Post
    For the future have you considered using Argentium silver? It's firestain resistance (and tarnish resistance) is very good.
    Yes, I might try that, but at the moment I am using some large heart shaped castings and I'm seeing firestain appear when I'm doing soldering work on those. Do some of the casting houses use Argentium silver?

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    But I'm sure it was made from boric acid or borax or rouge powder in methylated spirits or something? Can anyone 'enlighten' me?!
    Boric acid in meths. Another classic. Make up a saturated solution of boric acid in meths, dip and then burn off the meths. Endless possibilities for excitement having the meths too close to the torch...