Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Claw Setting Jig

Thank you for that, but its not really what I am after. I want something that can hold things from the top, I think with a third hand it would probably be higher or could be made higher. If you look at Andrews video, he had his setting on a raised type of third hand, which I think would be more what I am after. Less likelihood of me knocking it, as it would be more in my line of vision.

Pat, the easiest thing is to just use a pair of regular cross lock tweezers, and then hold them at the top with a third hand to keep them upright.

Otherwise, you could splash out on one of these: http://www.suttontools.co.uk/acatalo..._BE008_SS.html

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

single 3rd hand is available at the moment from fleabay for £10.49 including post and a pair of cross locks.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3rd-HAND-B...item439da42b4c

they also have that type of soldering station you mention George, but for half the price that Suttons have it listed for - although the quality seems much lower

please note: this is NOT a recomendation - I spotted it as I was trauling.
    Last edited by Wallace; 29-01-2012 at 06:26 PM.

Or just cut a slot in the side of your bench peg like a real jeweller and push your tweezers into that to hold them closed. No charge at all, Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    single 3rd hand is available at the moment from fleabay for £10.49 including post and a pair of cross locks.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3rd-HAND-B...item439da42b4c

they also have that type of soldering station you mention George, but for half the price that Suttons have it listed for - although the quality seems much lower
    I actually tried one of those copy soldering stations Wallce (though from another supplier) and it was a total waste of money- poorly constructed from 2nd rate materials with bits falling off it - I sent it straight back and bought the real one, which I love (though I still end up plonking a charcoal block on top most of the time!). I like it especially because I solder in a different place to my main bench, partly because of the peculiarities of insurance on a very, very old house, but also to ensure that I do actually get up and walk around from time to time!

Hi George, thats what I was thinking, but I still need the third hand. Good job its my birthday soon, Sam is buying one for me I think, its a surprise !!!!!

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    I actually tried one of those copy soldering stations Wallce (though from another supplier) and it was a total waste of money- poorly constructed from 2nd rate materials with bits falling off it - I sent it straight back and bought the real one, which I love (though I still end up plonking a charcoal block on top most of the time!). I like it especially because I solder in a different place to my main bench, partly because of the peculiarities of insurance on a very, very old house, but also to ensure that I do actually get up and walk around from time to time!
    Sounds very wise George. I mentioned reduction to quality, because it is such a low price and clearly looks different. Their single third hand has stood the test well though. I use it all the time - but I am not a real jeweller, only a hobby person. I only spend 2/7 of my week on my passion. Mind you, my trauling the fleabay has paid off on the benches - so there is some good in it somewhere! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    Hi George, thats what I was thinking, but I still need the third hand. Good job its my birthday soon, Sam is buying one for me I think, its a surprise !!!!!
    that sounds like a very nice surprise coming your way Pat
    Last edited by Wallace; 29-01-2012 at 06:35 PM.

Like you Wallace I am only a part timer. Mine started out as a hobby but as my daughter wanted to go on a course I joined her, and because between us we made so much and really enjoyed doing it we continued to make and had to try and sell some of it. Unfortunately down here we only have the local village hall affairs, we dont get to sell much, and my daughter has a full time job too. We have a web-site but as yet no takers for the stuff on it, and after a year or so, are getting a bit disalusioned with it. Most of the people I have spoken to do other stuff like teaching to make up the money situation, and there are only about two galleries in Exeter too, and they have just a little spot for jewellery, so her wishes to stop work and just do jewellery are out of the question as she has a mortgage and although she has a steady boyfriend, she has only been with him for a couple of months, and he lives and works in Castle Cary. I think that to make a go of it financially we would have to travel to shows etc, but she has an elderly dog and a horse so going places at the weekends is out of the question too. I was thinking about trying Etsy but dont know what to think about it.