Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Claw Setting Jig

Yes Andrew it is, I have watched video's of it and got all my books out, but its the holding it still while I solder that is a bigger problem. I get it aligned just right and then I knock the table and it falls over, and if I can find a clamp or something to hold it secure while I solder it will be ok. Peter suggested altering a pair of tweezers by filing a groove in them and another at cross angle which I will probably do. At the moment I have soldered the ring shut and hammered it flat on one side, and my left forefinger has the big black bruise to prove it. Not sure whether I am supposed to cut the ring, or mount it on the top of the ring. I have two rings made and waiting for the stone to go either in or on. One is rectangular, the other "D" shape (the one that I have flattened on side of). Just as a matter of interest is it called a basket setting? Just realised you have sent me the video, wow very thank you, I watched in awe of how simple you made it look. Noticed that you had a third hand, that may be something that I need to get soon I think, as its difficult to prop things up so they dont move. Thanks for your help once again, and yes I would love to join your site but unfortunately, I am not able to afford £12.99 a month as I am retired and not earning much from my jewellery either. I love making it, but hate selling it, only the bits I dont like.
    Last edited by Patstone; 27-01-2012 at 08:18 AM. Reason: adding more info

One of the ways I use crosslock tweezers is to perch them on a magnet (old speaker magnets are quite good). A bit like a third hand, but different.

Thats a good idea too, sorry typing not too good, sore fingy. I was wondering if I could make a third hand, and a speaker magnet does sound as if it could be adapted a bit. Its my birthday next month so I have asked for a valorbe triangular file in a No.2, dont know if thats a bit coarse, or a third hand, with any luck I may get both. presuming I can make another basket setting ok, do you solder it onto the uprights of the basket or the jumprings, I would guess it would be stronger if it was on the uprights. I dont intend to make lots of them, just wanted to learn more. My next thing will probably be a tube setting as I havent done one of those either. So I should take a long holiday if I were you. Thanks once again, Pat

Have a look at this then, thats the ultimate isnt it. Dont like the croc clips but it gives instructions too if someone wants to make one.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Thir...d-for-electro/

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    Have a look at this then, thats the ultimate isnt it. Dont like the croc clips but it gives instructions too if someone wants to make one.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Thir...d-for-electro/
    Those are electronic ones Pat, for use with a soldering iron. To be flame proof, they have to be more like this: http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...prcode-999-AAA

Yes but just think what you could do with them, they may even do the washing up.

Nah, it would be streaky.

I bought these recently, haven't tried them yet though.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300455821717#ht_844wt_1397
    might be what you need.

Thanks for that, I have made a couple that James (Goldsmith) told me about, and they are very good, but I need them a bit higher and more flexible angle wise than the ones on Jewellers-Tools, and to be honest I think you could probably make them from a wire coat hanger, I may give it a try. I have just rung and left a message, cos some of the prices on his stuff is obviously a mistake as I have bought quite a lot from them in the past and have always found they were very good price wise. I have the pics that James gave me if you want I can send them to you, only downside is you need to buy stainless steel sheet about 0.9mm and I didnt know at the time but they will cut to size for you. Struggled with the shears, then a Juinior Hacksaw, in the end got out the jigsaw with a metal cut blade in and that cracked it. Then just bend them into shape. Thanks anyway, lovely little person.

Hello Pat, I've trawled through some of the jewellery tool websites looking for a set of tweezers for you (within budget) and came across these from Cousins. The tweezers are called 'Soldering insulated tweezers (Straight Tipped) with reverse action with stand' code number T20212. No, I don't work for Cousins! But can't find anything similiar in Cooksons price-wise. Hope this helps!!!!