Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Claw Setting Jig

Guess what I just made, can show you a pic cos I dont know how to download pics from my phone. Its a bit lop sided but its stuck (I hope), hubby has gone to bed now so wouldnt appreciate me bashing around as I have my bench in the spare bedroom right next to ours. He drives great big artic lorries and has to start work on this contract at 1.30am. Delivers food to very famous grocery stores beginning with a "T". Anyway getting back to the reason I am here is, I have done it, yippee, I have done it. This must be my sixtyth time at least. So I exaggerate a bit. I am so excited, all I need now is a stone to put in it and a ring to put it all on. I used a hand torch instead of my bottles one, and turned the flame down a lot, and did like you suggested by making a hole in the soldering block so the setting was almost buried in it. That seems to be the problem I think it was all getting too hot, and not being able to hold the legs still while I soldered the jump ring with the other hand. Yeah, one happy bunny. Thanks for your patience and help.

Great! Looking forward to seeing the pics (when the phone cooperates...).

Its not the phone I am afraid, it operator incompetence!!! I know how to download it onto the computer just not sure how to put it on the forum, not sure I want to anyway cos its very poor. One more question, when you make basket setting, what do you use to cut the notch out of the legs to hold the jumpring. Wallace said she uses a diamond burr, but showing my ignorance, I dont know which shape to go for as there are hundreds of different shapes, dont know where to start. I have a Foredom Pendant motor, a lot of things came with that, but I dont think I have one in that, but not knowing what they look like............. Thanks in advance. Pat

I usually start my notches off with a 3 square needle file to get the location slightly notched, then go in with a round file to open it out. A long tapered burr also works (tapered covers different diameters is all), something like a figure 023 in Busch terms.

I couldnt find the 023 on any of the sites, then looked on Suttons and they had a pic of one, looks a useful tool as does the 021 that cookies have. May invest in one.
    Last edited by Patstone; 26-01-2012 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake

That's the beastie, the elongated cone. I have a load of carbide dental bits like that that are quite handy for this.

The only ones that I have are the ones that come with the Foredom Pendant Motor, so as I think it was Dennis said, "chuck them away, as they arent much good".

HI

Just popped on and seen this thread.

I have posted a pic, is this the type of setting you are after?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	post_wire_settings.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	7.8 KB 
ID:	3343

Andrew
    Its finally here. The answer to your Online Jewellery Training

Just Click Below

AtTheBench Jewellery Training for Jewellers

Hi Andrew - so how would you skin this particular cat?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUe6LxvT_No

This is the last film of three which is on my site www.AtTheBench.com.

I am only putting the last part on YouTube because these films are Paid for Content only but it does show the main construction of the setting.

If anyone is interested in joining At The Bench then they can sign up as a FreeView member to see what the other 390 films are.

Andrew
    Its finally here. The answer to your Online Jewellery Training

Just Click Below

AtTheBench Jewellery Training for Jewellers