Thread: Softtouch wire keeps snapping when knotting a freshwater pearl necklace

Default Softtouch wire keeps snapping when knotting a freshwater pearl necklace

I'm attempting to string a freshwater pearl bracelet, the pearls are 8-10 mm in size and I'm using the Softtouch 'fine' wire as recommended by softflex as being suitable for knotting and I'm using the same knot technique that they demonstrate on their website.

However I'll get a few pearls strung and then the wire snaps when I'm trying to push the next pearl over the knot - this happened three times last night!

Am i missing something?

Grateful for any advice / tips as this is the first time i've tried to do this.

I've never thought wire (even coated) looks right with pearls, and I've seen some horrible results trying to knot it.

I'd stick to using pearl silk or silk substitute. It will look and drape far better.

Thank-you George, the supplier recommended the wire so I just bought it along with the pearls - and erm the toggle clasp and crimp beads.
    I understood that silk is prone to stretching, especially if the sizing isnt spot on and needs restringing every few years.

I was just looking at Cooksons and I see they sell the silk - but not the nylon substitute, I wonder if there's a reason for that e.g is the nylon isn't as good.

I think I will try the nylon next - just trying to picture how it will look using french wire without any bead caps.

hhmmm

Hi
    Silk and synthetics look best with pearls. A pearl necklace or bracelet made with wire etc looks and is stiff and has no drape.
    If you want strength I recommend you use either nylon power or high performance while there are many options in natural silk as well.
    I carry all the silk variations you might need and have a full instructional video on youtube as well
    http://www.pearlescence.co.uk/index.php/cPath/93_41