Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: All the gear but no idea!

Thank you, Dennis, I've mostly been using the diamond burrs as motorised files, for example cutting down to a score line or shaping the top edge of a bezel when it needs to follow the contours of a stone. Then I use a sanding pad, a nice foam nail file, rubber polishing tips and finally a felt mop with rouge if I want a high shine. I was just wondering if there was an accessory that would take the place of the sanding pad. Or what grit the pale green bits in various shapes (silicon carbide?) would be equivalent to. I also have an orange stone on a mandrel, which I think is aluminium oxide. This feels much coarser than the green ones.

Melanie

http://www.spinysharklythings.com

Hello Dennis, I didnt give you a thumbs down, because I didnt see the tutorials. Sorry I must have missed it, the only ones I saw were a lot of bits in a box, I think there were three different boxes, but it was just showing them, not with a description of what they all did. This is more than wonderful, I will copy it so I have a reference, if thats ok with you. Many thanks for that, and once again sorry I missed it the first time, I must look at the forum every day, I am retired as you know so I have no excuse, but I seem to be really busy all the time, goodness only knows what I did when I was working full time as well. Pat

The trouble I find with bezels, is that they need to be quite thick to withstand filing with rotary tools, so I use fine silver at least 0.5 mm thick. Then the silent and heatless stones (Grinding & Separating Lower Left) do it for me. Sometimes you can also finish with the ready mounted sandpaper roll, coarse, seen in 'Abrasive Disks and Rolls (lower left), but you are left with bent over edges that you have to scrape off with a blade, a scraper or a deburring tool.

As for the stones you describe, they might belong to a category best used for wood an acrylic.

Coincidentally If it will let me, i am hoping to post a ring with a variable height bezel in Show and Tell Today. Dennis.

The trouble I find with bezels, is that they need to be quite thick to withstand filing with rotary tools, so I use fine silver at least 0.5 mm thick. Then the silent and heatless stones (Grinding & Separating Lower Left) do it for me. Sometimes you can also finish with the ready mounted sandpaper roll, coarse, seen in 'Abrasive Disks and Rolls (lower left), but you are left with bent over edges that you have to scrape off with a blade, a scraper or a deburring tool.

As for the stones you describe, they might belong to a category best used for wood an acrylic.

Coincidentally If it will let me, i am hoping to post a ring with a variable height bezel in Show and Tell Today. Dennis.

I will keep an eye open for that, for me its still a huge learning curve, and I learn a lot from the tools you guys use. Thanks once more, regards, Pat