Thread: Stone setting course

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Stone setting course

Hi all,

Does anyone on here run or could you reccommend a good stone setting course or tutor for a complete beginner? Have googled them but there are so many I don't know where to start!

Thanks for any suggestions.

Tanya

I think it probably depends upon what stone setting you want to do...? There's quite a wide range of areas covered!

Peter,
    I was hoping to find a basic one. I've just started to bezel set cabs in my evening class but was looking for something that would take my knowledge a bit further. Sorry - I don't know the technical terms yet but I'd like to know how to flush set faceted stones and channel settings too. I'm sure this is beyond my current abilities though!
    Tanya

Suggesting tutors or courses really depend on where you are based Tanya. Holts Acadamy run setting courses if you are in London, see;
    http://www.holtsacademy.com/Short_Co..._courses.aspx?

James

I'm doing one at John Cass at Easter, which I'm looking forward to. My son lives nearby, so I'm going to crash on his sofa.

Tanya, when you are considering a stone setting course, make sure that it covers the basics of bezel setting, tube setting and possibly some simple prong setting.

Some years back, when I was younger and shyer, I called on a famous school in Hatton garden, mentioned by James, to enquire about an intermediate course. I made a point of saying I was not ready for channel and pavé setting and that I never used diamonds. The secretary assured me that would be O.K.
    I spent a large amount of cash up front, but when It came to my first lesson and I was asked what I expected to learn, I was told bluntly ‘You’re on the wrong course then’. Big boys don’t cry so I stuck it out for the week, alongside bench trained jewellers who seemed to cope.

For me it was a complete waste of time, as I could barely see what the teacher wanted me to do, even with magnification. Dennis.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    I'm doing one at John Cass at Easter, which I'm looking forward to. My son lives nearby, so I'm going to crash on his sofa.
    going to be joining you (in the class, not the sofa!) lol

[QUOTE=Goldsmith;45867]Suggesting tutors or courses really depend on where you are based Tanya.

Thanks James,
    I'm out in the wilds of East Anglia, so I doubt there's much locally to me. Luckily my sister lives just outside Birmingham so that is always a possibility, or for day/ short courses I could get to London.

I will look into the one you have suggested.