Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stone setting course

Bullstick/oval - 2.1mm across the width. I'd be particularly interested in comparing notes on how you sharpen that, I've ended up very enthusiastic about them for cutting taper bearings.
    Spitzstick/onglette (incidentally, a 3 is not all that much bigger than a 2, although I tend towards smaller ones)
    Flat - er, flat? 1.2mm wide
    #6 & #10 half round (0.6 & 1.0mm) - you can make a simple one from a broken burr & a universal handle. Just snap the rest of the business end off the tapered shaft & sharpen at 45 degrees. They work rather well for bead raising, but obviously get bigger the more you sharpen them.
    Last edited by ps_bond; 24-01-2012 at 12:26 PM.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Thanks for the clarity Peter - I was wondering why there were so many confusing aspects to the list. Do we take an apron? Does it matter that it is not blue? lol Thanks for the #10 half round tip Peter.

Oh, am I allowed to say that another company have a good deal on some of the gravers and the handles?

I cannot find the half round no 10 anywhere! Okay I haven't tried absolutely everywhere, but three top traders I use do not have them. Any ideas as I am not sure I am going to be as innovative as Peter at the sharpening a broken burr just yet...... give me a few weeks post learning and I will have worked something out. New phone has a good camera on it, so pics will be interesting!

Wallace

999 AYN on Cooksons.

Graver & scorper are used relatively interchangably - although scorper is more normally used in the UK to describe any graver that isn't square.

As for the apron - yes, it has to be blue. If it's any other colour your stones bounce twice as far when they hit the floor and your gravers won't keep their edge.
    Last edited by ps_bond; 26-01-2012 at 06:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post

As for the apron - yes, it has to be blue. If it's any other colour your stones bounce twice as far when they hit the floor and your gravers won't keep their edge.
    damn! I look so good in brown leather!

Nah, brown leather is for blacksmithing (well, mine is anyway)

lol - biker chick days, couldn't get one in black! hahaha. Best protection I could find for all my melting needs and cannot be bothered to blue up again!