Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tips for a heart shaped claw setting

Default Tips for a heart shaped claw setting

A lady has asked me to set two stones her great-grandmother kept into rings.
    She is not sure if they are glass or amethyst (took them to a jeweller who 'didn't know', but they are def. cut by a hobbyist - cutting is pretty uneven and many of the corners are rounded etc). They're pretty large - there is an oval stone approx 20mm long and a heart shaped stone approx 18 x 12mm. Both stones are quite deep. The underside of the heart is uneven and goes into a rough point.
    I want to make a double gallery collet for it. I've made the two heart shapes, now have the four prongs to attach.
    How do i do this and get the angles correct without a)crying and b)crying more?
    All advice appreciated hugely x

There' a choice, Lydia.

1. With pliers push the four prong wires into your soldering block so that they open more at the top. Drop in the first heart shape and if the angles are correct solder it in. Then re-adjust the angles for the second one.

2. Solder two wires into a cross. Then bend up the arms to fit your first heart shape. continue as above.

By testing this out with cheap wire first you can work out which method you prefer. Regards, Dennis.

thank you Dennis - you're a lifesaver as usual!

Dennis,
    i went for number 2. This is my first attempt, and apart from the getting the larger heart to sit in place (I think I did level 4 swearing), was reassuringly straightforward. Thank you :-)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	den.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	3322

Thank you for sharing,that's beautifully done so far Lydia. Get some practice first in nicking the inside of the claws in just the right place, if you have not done this before and leave the prongs long until they are bent over. Finally make sure that the edge of any file used for finishing the prong tips has a smooth safe edge next to the stone.

Sorry to fuss you, but you have me on the edge of my seat now. Dennis.

thanks Dennis, I will do.
    The stone is slightly uneven all around the edge, which will make it more interesting , there is a small chip on the top, but one of the prongs should cover this. Will show you how I get on.

I never showed you the finished ring!

Name:	ruthtinyfixed.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	4607Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ruthtinyside.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	4608

Hi Lydia,
    Thanks, for showing us your finished piece. I hope the lady was duly impressed. Did you do the oval as well?
    Regards, Dennis.

She was pleased (phew!), I did the oval, it was much more straightforward, just bezel set - a bit hairy, as again the stone was unevenly cut, really deep too.
    The only pics I can find are of when I was testing the fit of the stone, so not very pretty!

Name:	PRER.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	4609Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PRERR.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	4610

Quote Originally Posted by LydiaNiz View Post
    She was pleased (phew!), I did the oval, it was much more straightforward, just bezel set - a bit hairy, as again the stone was unevenly cut, really deep too.
    The only pics I can find are of when I was testing the fit of the stone, so not very pretty!

Name:	PRER.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	4609Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PRERR.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	4610
    You may think.....not very pretty,........but I think that's rather nicely done and I'm sure was even more impressive when finished!!
    It is nice to see finished (or almost finished!!) work