Thread: polishing help!

Default polishing help!

Hi guys,

I've just started to create jewellery in my shed, gotten fully into etching, into a rhythm now but Im curious as to how I can polish delicate pieces, delicate i mean 0.2mm -0.8mm thickness etched. It's too fragile for polishing mops/buffing, i've been told to use a sonic cleaner, but I'm thinking the steel points will crush my piece. Any ideas? thanks in advance

Maz

Hi Maz,
    Without knowing exactly what you are making it is difficult to give specific advice, but in order of sophistication you could polish textured finishes:
    1. With a soft toothbrush and Silvo.
    2. With a jeweller's brass brush and soapy water.
    3. With medium and fine radial disks on your flex-shaft
    4. In a tumbler with mixed shot and Barrelbrite. All these methods would preserve your etched texture without damage. Dennis.

I suspect you're thinking of an ultrasonic cleaner, which uses no steel or hard medium, just ultrasonic waves and a detergent. You can buy a cheap one for around £20 which works OK as long as you use it with warm water.

I happily polish pieces as thin as that with a mop on a flexshaft at fairly low speed, but if you're concerned, I think I'd either use a magnetic polisher, or as Dennis suggests, a tumbler.

Thanks I'm gunna invest in a magnetic tumbler for now im using and wire wool and soapy water, (thanks dennis). I used to use sanding discs frequently, but I got fed up of shredding the discs on my work and changing every minute or so. thanks guys

Thanks for coming back to us Maz. You might be right about you choice, but if you tried a soapy jewellers brass brush, instead of steel wool, the effect on etched surfaces would be very similar and you would save £££.
    By the way what did you do with sanding disks that was not successful? Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 06-02-2012 at 06:55 PM.