Thread: 3D laser mark..how to clean the black marks off?

Default 3D laser mark..how to clean the black marks off?

Hi,
    I am a newbie, and have just received my first batch of silver jewellery back from the hallmark office. The 3d laser marks are all black. I have tried polishing them, but the blackness hasn't faded at all. Has anyone else had this problem? What would you suggest to remove the black? I would really appreciate your help, this item is for a Christmas pressie!
    Happy Christmas!

When I have had this problem I first clean the hallmark with a glass fibre pencil like this one sold by Cookson, see; http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...prcode-999-183
    Then after cleaning the recess with one of these I will polish any glass fibre brush marks off the surface above the hallmark recess leaving the slight matte area in the hallmark recess. You will find these brushes useful for many other cleaning and perhaps texturing jobs, refill fibre brushes are also available. I have used these brushes in the past to add clouds to skylines of engraved pictures.
    James

James has given you one way, but as the mark is caused by heat it will also come off by re-pickling, particularly if you warm the piece a little with a torch first. I have noticed recently that here in London they are now coming back clean and shiny. Dennis.

Ah, thanks guys. Will try the heat and re pickle given how soon it needs to be shiny! I must say I was disappointed with London assay. All the 3d laser marks are black as coal! And it took them 2 weeks to process. Anyhow, I have my hallmarking in time for Christmas, and now I have a solution to cure the blackness!

Could be a kit change or a settings tweak - Geti's more the person to comment on that. 2 weeks does sound unusually long for AOL - I normally have things back within a week.

My last (London) packet took two weeks and came back with black laser marks. The hallmarks had always been clean before. I don't want to re-pickle everything because one of the pieces has been LoS'd and another is a very delicate crocheted silver wire choker with rock crystal that I wouldn't like to have to try and polish. For some odd reason, they hallmarked that one on the inner part of a sliding clasp - I would have expected the outside part, but there you go.
    Elaine at Mead Moon
    Mead Moon
    My Etsy shop