Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cufflinks loose.

Heighington, a village just out of Lincoln

Default Cufflinks loose.

Another problem solver, I have made some corporate cufflinks for a couple of customers and have noticed that the cufflink bar becomes very loose after soldering to the cufflink itself, I suspect that the heat used to solder the pieces has affected the internal spring mechanism. Is there any way of tightening up the whole swivel or is it a case of removing the fitting and trying again?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1720.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	3286Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Taylor lindsey.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	3287

I think I would have taken the easy route and just used chain to join the two halves.

But that may be because I prefer linked to t bar cufflinks to start with!

Me too, just has more style IMHO but the client wanted Swivel fittings, I just don't know if I can tighten them up, the fittings are the Cooksons assembled NVU101

When I make silver cufflinks I use separate U sections and swivels, then I solder the U sections to the links and then just rivet the swivel sections in place. Which means that the springs in the swivels do not get heated in soldering.
    See Cookson's separate cuff link sections here; http://www.cooksongold.com/Findings/...prcode-NVU-S10
    James

I have just bought some of those, if I am unsuccessful in creating a little friction to close the fitting slightly, then I may just bite the bullet and replace the fitting for those that you have suggested.

I use those swivel cufflinks sometimes and I use locking tweezers to hold them, which takes the heat from the mechanism. I've never had a problem with them.

Just got them back and a few gently taps later, they are a little tighter, just friction though, not ideal!

Thanks Croleallen, that is exactly what I did as I have done many times before too, this is a new batch of fittings though, they now have a cooksons logo on the inner surface, not trying to suggest the fittings at at fault think my heat management is the problem, I struggle some times with recognising the heat colour indication, cherry red for me is marachino, deep crimson, or bright rasberry, never got silver to go that colour. May try some Technoflux next time to see if it makes a diference, will also use the reverse tweezers on the third hand to position the items in proximity. (sorry had a beer)

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    When I make silver cufflinks I use separate U sections and swivels, then I solder the U sections to the links and then just rivet the swivel sections in place. Which means that the springs in the swivels do not get heated in soldering.
    See Cookson's separate cuff link sections here; http://www.cooksongold.com/Findings/...prcode-NVU-S10
    James
    Thought you meant the NVU 103 items, they are much the same I guess, it is those that I have.

I'll have to look out for the new ones. Thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by bruggen View Post
    Thanks Croleallen, that is exactly what I did as I have done many times before too, this is a new batch of fittings though, they now have a cooksons logo on the inner surface, not trying to suggest the fittings at at fault think my heat management is the problem, I struggle some times with recognising the heat colour indication, cherry red for me is marachino, deep crimson, or bright rasberry, never got silver to go that colour. May try some Technoflux next time to see if it makes a diference, will also use the reverse tweezers on the third hand to position the items in proximity. (sorry had a beer)