Thread: Fingerprint Necklace

Default Fingerprint Necklace

Hi everyone

I have been asked to make a fingerprint necklace for a customer. I have worked with PMC before, but never done a fingerprint. I have read the various threads on here about it, and just have a couple of questions I couldn't find answered.

Do I need to use badger balm on the childs finger, or would it be better not to? (The child is 10 so I know he has developed fingerprints)

Is it really as simple as making a shape, and then just impressing a finger into it? or is there an important step I don't know about?

Any help always gratefully received

Thanks

if you have the actual finger there, then yeah, just press it in. I have to say though that I do not like badgers balm. It's too thick and given that the prints are in fine silver they eventually wear away to nothing so as deep a print as possible is better. I use that really thin lube you get for hair clippers. dunno what it is or what it's called but because it is so fine, you get a better direct print.

also make sure he has got nice clean fingers with no snot or mud stuck in there.

Thanks medusa would using something like a tiny bit of olive oil be better than the badger balm?
    Oh and loving the snot reference

I'm a bit late possibly, but yes olive oil would be better, I think, if you don't have a synthetic lube. or maybe something even lighter like rapeseed oil.

Another late reply - you can use badger balm as long as it is only a very fine layer, so that it doesn't clog up the fine fingerprint lines. I only tend to use if someone has dry skin.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I did use badger balm in the end but as pmcdesigns says just a very thin layer. i torched fired it and i have to say as it was my first ever attempt, and my customer wanted to watch it from start to finish, i am really pleased with the result.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0060.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	3283