Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Creative Bronze and Copper Clay

Default New Creative Bronze and Copper Clay

Hi everyone

I just wondered if anyone had tried the new Creative bronze or copper clay that Cooksons are now selling, and if so what did you think? I'm interested because I like using PMC but find it so expensive, and I find the Art Clay Copper very dry and hard to work with, so wondered if this would be a good alternative.

Thanks everyone!

I've used the Copper and found it quite easy to use. Even torch fired it rather than firing up the kiln. But I found that the ends of the petals on this flower seem to have whitish bits that I haven't been able to clean off yet. Any ideas? Re-pickle and polish maybe? The other pieces were fine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CuTripleFlower.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	3277
    Elaine at Mead Moon
    Mead Moon
    My Etsy shop

That necklace is beautiful!

You could try re-pickling and polishing, but to be honest I am a novice when it comes to pmc and clay, so I'm not sure what would help. I would love to learn more about it, which is why I wanted to try the copper clay, as funds don't stretch to the silver clay at the moment.
    I don't have a kiln so everything I have tried has been torch fired. How long did u torch fire the necklace for? I torch fired a piece made from artclay copper but I found it brittle. I fired it the same way as I did the PMC3 silver I tried, which was to take it to the bright orange stage and then keep that colour for 2 minutes. Do you think that it needed to be fired for longer? The piece was a solid bird approx 2cm tall if that helps.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian Butterfly View Post
    That necklace is beautiful!

I fired it the same way as I did the PMC3 silver I tried, which was to take it to the bright orange stage and then keep that colour for 2 minutes. Do you think that it needed to be fired for longer? The piece was a solid bird approx 2cm tall if that helps.

Thanks!
    Hi I am no expert at all with the clays but i have read that the reason for the kiln firing rather than flame is the copper that oxydises, so prevents the proper firing process. I know the new clay from Cookies says it can be flame fired, but better results are obtained by kiln. Before going ahead with a piece I think you need to experiemnt with the clay itself under different conditions. Hopefully someone with more experience will come along with better advice.
    Poor old Les

If it is only on the surface, Elaine, it looks like the kind of deposit a radial wheel would get off in seconds. Dennis.

Thank you Dennis. I don't have a radial wheel (or any room to set one up if I had) but will get the polishing pads out again and have another go.

Thank you Laura. I torched the Copper for just over 5 minutes and usually do at least 3 minutes for PMC3. Any larger or delicate PMC3 pieces are done in the kiln and your bird probably falls into that category.
    Elaine at Mead Moon
    Mead Moon
    My Etsy shop

These are radial discs Elaine - used in a flexshaft, so no space required:

http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...rcode-999-1967

One of my most used tools.

Thanks, George, me being slapdash.

Ah yes, thank you George (and Dennis), I have some of those and will get them out to have another go at the flower.
    Elaine at Mead Moon
    Mead Moon
    My Etsy shop

[QUOTE]I fired it the same way as I did the PMC3 silver I tried, which was to take it to the bright orange stage and then keep that colour for 2 minutes. Do you think that it needed to be fired for longer? The piece was a solid bird approx 2cm tall if that helps.
    [/ QUOTE]

I haven't tried the new Creative copper - my order is on its way (together with some bronze!), but I did fire the Art Clay Copper with a torch and found it needed a lot longer than said. Mine was a smallish pendant shape rolled to 1.5mm and it did need 20 mins torch firing. The first one fired for 10 mins didn't fire properly - couldn't polish it up even with the coarse eveflex wheels!