Thread: gaints causeway inspired...

Default gaints causeway inspired...

Hi all, my latest for your deliberation!
    this as the title suggests was inspired by the giants causeway -and that program that was on a few months ago called natures code i think. (they were describing how nature makes a hexagon using bubbles, very interesting)

Its all made from casts of a 4mm allen key in my tool box. the chain is a ball and socket design i've not seen used, well cant find any other on the net... not surprising as its not very resistant to bending
    Hope you like...

Last edited by GoneMad; 21-11-2011 at 11:41 PM. Reason: using better pics

Amazing that you found a chain to match. Particularly interesting to me because I went another route for hexagonal wire, drawing round wire through a triangular draw plate until there were six sides (the bangle in my album). I also briefly saw that programme. Well done, Dennis.

I did read your bangle method with the draw plate Dennis - good idea, i don't have any of that equipment unfortunately. its fine if you get a good cast then it wont take too long to clean up.
    Ha, i didnt Find the chain Dennis i made it - i did check on google images to see if anyone else had tried a ball and socket approach before, they must have somewhere surely?
    Thanks though Dennis, this and 8 other pieces are in a jewellers shop now ...and theres a website on the way!

...hope this is a clearer pic, i think i got better pictures with my mobile!

Last edited by GoneMad; 26-11-2011 at 02:04 AM.

An imaginative use of household objects, I like it.
    Poor old Les

That's lovely, the inspiration is nice to know too

I love it - really unusual. Did you have to cast many times to get enough pieces?

I had to cast 5 or 6 times to get enough, the chain required some extra pieces to replace ones where i had taken the wall thickness on the socket end a bit to thin. I was casting 2 allen keys at once using the 10cm rings, i did have a go with 4 (see pics) but this was too time consuming... it took so long in fact i thought i should take a picture!