Thread: Tube setting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Tube setting

Hi, to most of you this will seem a stupid question, but never having been shown at the evening class I went to, I am going to ask anyway. I understand the concept of tube setting, but not quite sure how to go about it. I suppose the easiest answer is to buy tube the correct size, but for an 8mm facetted stone it would be impossible I should think. So for making my own I suppose I would do the same as bezel setting a cab, but how do I put in the "shelf" to stop the stone going right through. Is it easier to solder on another strip of silver inside the bezel bit before you make it into a tube, or is there an easier way please. I know you can buy silver from cooksons with a cut out bit, but not sure if its what I need. Thank you in advance. Pat

Hi Pat, The easiest way to add a shelf for you stone is to solder a jump ring inside the tube, or for larger tube settings I would pierce out a large washer and solder it inside the tube as a shelf to support the stone. I use a graver or spit stick to raise supports for the soldered in bearer wire or washer. These photos may explain my method of adding a washer as a stone bearer, I used a large tube setting just for the photos when I took them for a tutorial on another forum, the setting was for a cab but it is the same for a faceted stone.
    James

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	66a Scorper cuts to hold stone seat.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	3236Click image for larger version. 

Name:	66 Scorper cuts to hold stone seat.jpg 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	3235Click image for larger version. 

Name:	67 Scorper cuts and stone seat bezel.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	3237Click image for larger version. 

Name:	68 Stone seat sitting on scorper up cuts.jpg 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	3238Click image for larger version. 

Name:	69 Stone seated in setting.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	3239
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 20-11-2011 at 10:39 AM.

This is a faceted stone set in a tube setting on a ring that I made for my daughter, I made the bearer the same way as in the previous photos.
    James.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Catherine's silver ring 1.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	3240

That ring is beautiful, lucky girl. The silver holding the washer looks quite thick, and presumably you have a hole cutter to make the washer too, that is on my xmas list, and can you tell me which scorper I should use, it says on the photo 66a, on the cookson site it brings up hundreds, as I have never even seen one, let alone used one, I want to buy the most useful one. Many thanks for the photos. Pat
    Last edited by Patstone; 21-11-2011 at 05:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    That ring is beautiful, lucky girl. The silver holding the washer looks quite thick, and presumably you have a hole cutter to make the washer too, that is on my xmas list, and can you tell me which scorper I should use, it says on the photo 66a, on the cookson site it brings up hundreds, as I have never even seen one, let alone used one, I want to buy the most useful one. Many thanks for the photos. Pat
    Hi Pat,
    I use many sizes of scorpers, but the one in the photo is a round edge scorper, like one of these; http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...prcode-999-AYL
    The washer shape that I used was marked using a pair of dividers and then cut with a piercing saw.
    The bezel setting on the ring, I filed the outside of the bezel to thin it down before pushing over the setting, after filing and rubbing over the setting I use a cratex wheel in a flex shaft to clean up the setting. Like these eveflex ones from Cookson; http://www.cooksongold.com/category_...ANDREL+999+AET. I then finally clean the setting edge with a small flat scorper.
    James

I have just placed an order for a scorper the same as the one you have, it seems as if you have to do things to it before you can use it, help! I suppose you could use either a flatened jumpring for the washer, it would probably be easier for me as I dont seem to be much good at cutting in a straight line, it always goes wonky even if I draw it out carefully first, do you think I could blame that on the lack of my eye, its surprising what you can get away with for an excuse. Thanks for all the info, I will put it to good use I promise and I will upload the pics when I have done it. Pat
    P.S can you tell me what I have to do to the scorper and why please.

Hi Pat Stone,
    How are you this Sunday morning ? You are quite right, you have to make your own tubing and if you use strip cut from fine silver sheet, say 0.4 or 0.5mm thick, you will find it easier.

A low tech method is to make a curved strip from stiff paper or a post card, using a compass for neatness , adjust it with scissors, and join the ends to fit your stone. You should end up with a slightly cone shaped collet about 1.0 mm taller than your stone. As you will realise, the cone shape retains the stone and you don’t really need a shelf or bearer.

Once you are satisfied with your pattern, you can save it by photocopying, or tracing round it. It can be transferred by glueing the pattern to silver with a Pritt stick, which easily washes off after sawing.

It helps if you can find something pointy like a pencil to neaten the cone once soldered . For ease of setting the top of your collet is filed to be no more than a third of a mm taller than the girdle of the stone, and bevelled on the outside to form a knife edge.
    Regards, Dennis.

Hi Dennis, thats a good idea, I followed the diagram someone sent in a few weeks ago, by measuring on graph paper and multiplying something by pi, but as maths isnt my strongpoint, found it over-complicated. Yours is a very simple idea and sounds easy to do. I still find it quite difficult to line things up properly, even though it was nearly four years ago that I lost my eye, you would think I would be used to it by now, but I still find it hard sometimes. My daughter also makes jewellery (went to the same class) and she is my "quality control". Well its a nasty job but someone has to do it. Thanks once again, Regards Pat

Part of your post I have just re-read, says file on the outside to form a knife edge, at the college we were told to file on the inside, before putting the bottom bit on, I found that quite difficult as it always left a ragged edge, especially on small bezels. Just out of interest which size file do you use for fine work like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    Part of your post I have just re-read, says file on the outside to form a knife edge, at the college we were told to file on the inside, before putting the bottom bit on, I found that quite difficult as it always left a ragged edge, especially on small bezels. Just out of interest which size file do you use for fine work like that.
    Any small needle file will do, but I keep several cuts so the last one can be very fine. It also helps to polish one edge, so that if you file next to a set cabochon it is less likely to mark it.

Which shape you choose is rather personal, but for this I think the barrette is best. Dennis.