Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Tube setting

Hi, thanks for the advice, I too think we will have to travel to other parts of the country for the bigger fairs. I have my daughter to think of too as she works full time at the Donkey Sanctuary and as she is the other half of the team. Her day job is very manual so she gets very tired, sometimes she has to work at weekends, (I think its one in three) so her time is limited. Hubby retired from the Army and now drives artic's, he leaves home at 3am all week, and at the weekend he doesnt want to drive unless he has to. I do drive locally, but wouldnt have the confidence to drive miles, stupid I know, but when I lost my eye three years ago, I had to re-learn the simplest things, like pouring a cup of tea into a mug and not all over the worktop and car driving on motorways etc is a bit scary even when you have two eyes. After your encouragement I am trying to persuade either of my little helpers to take me to the Salisbury fair in December. You are out even further than me, living in Cornwall, so it must be even more difficult for you. Thank you once again, I think you gave me the kick I needed.

I went to your website but couldnt find the part where it shows what you make, I am interested and would like to see it please. Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    I went to your website but couldnt find the part where it shows what you make, I am interested and would like to see it please. Pat
    It's all in my online shop Pat, which you can go into from the right hand side of the home page. It's interesting feedback that you couldn't find that part on my site, maybe it needs to be made more obvious.

Aha, I see what you mean now Pat. My website isn't spelt correctly in my signature. For the life of me, I can't see anywhere to change it. Maybe Cooksons don't allow us to do this any more. Anyway, my site is www.caroleallenjewellery.co.uk

PS fixed it now!!
    Last edited by caroleallen; 25-11-2011 at 07:57 AM.

Hi, went to have a look at about 3.50pm and it went straight to it. Have a look at our website if you havent already, some of our silver jewellery is very similar to yours, must be the westcountry air. Pat

Hi James,
    I have sorted out the scorpers and done a premlimary sharpen, I managed to borrow on a permanent loan a grinder, and my friend doesnt mind if I take out one of the wheels and put a polisher on it, so I have been able to tailor the scorper, but I would like to know if there is any guide rules as to fitting your scorper to your hand size. I know its all down to individual taste, but if I let the scorper handle rest in my palm, the end of the blade is about an inch longer than my fingers, do I need it shorter to have more control, or is it something you get used to. By the way, I have successfully managed to make one nice tag (or whatever you call it) with the scorper as a trial in a piece of scrap.

I usually start them off about 1/2" max longer than my thumb reaches - the main thing being that there's control over it in use. Go with what's comfortable - too long can be a nuisance.

Thanks Peter I will try that, I think mine are a bit long, although I cut off about an inch. Pat

Hi Pat,
    My scorpers are about 3/4" longer than my thumb when gripped in my palm, but I also have scorpers that are older and that have been sharpened so much that they are shorter and I get used to using them OK. Comfort when cutting is the key as no two people have the same power in their hands, I am a big bloke and my wrists and hands are quite large and strong. If you have small hands then you may be more comfortable with shorter scorpers.

James

Thanks James, my hands are quite small but my fingers are long, so I think I may shorten one and see how I get on.