Thread: Hello from Southern England

Default Hello from Southern England

Hi, I'm Nadine I come from the south coast of England near Bournemouth and have a passion for silversmithing and have recently been dabbling in art silver clay. I do a jewerelly making class one evening a week, run by a local college. It is great fun to see what others are making and also to compare notes and come up with inspirations for new projects. I do not sell my work but occassionally a friend will ask to ' commission' me to make a piece. I look forward to hearing from you all as we share all our ideas.

Hi Nadine, welcome to the forum!
    Lorraine

Hello Nadine
    Dragonfly (Lynne)

http://www.thedragonflycompany.com

for all things chain maille - supplies, chain maille kits and tuition

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crispy and taste good with ketchup!

Welcome Nadine Show us some pix, Dennis.

Welcome Nadine

Hi to everyone, Gina here, i,m fairly new to all this, and I'm doing a silversmithing course at the moment and am in the process of buying tools and equipment. Any advice on 'must have tools' etc. would be fantastic. Thanks Gina

This is my mantra, Gina:
    Only buy those tools which you need to continue your current project at home, or you will soon end up with a whole lot of un-used junk. Many tools can be bought most cheaply in Pound shops, discount stores and DIY stores. But if investing in a machine and you know that you will continue with this, buy the best you can afford. Ask your teacher for guidance and also get an easy project book, such as 'Two In One Manuals Jewellery', by Madeline Coles. A catalogue, such as 'The Cook Book' is also full of information.
    Sorry to have hijacked your thread Nadine, Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 02-11-2010 at 01:40 PM.

Thanks Dennis, the book looks very useful + have found a couple more in the process. Advise about only buy for your next project is also very true, its so easy to get carried away with what you would like rather than what you actually need. Have just got my first commission, any helpful tips about the thickness of silver to use for an anticlastic oval bangle,(it will be about 10mm wide). Just realised i posted my last message over a year ago!!! Gina

Hi Gina,
    I would say anything from 0.8 to 1.0mm, but if you pick up this message in a year's time as is your wont, you might find it too pricy. By the way, if you have not decided to do this already, make one in copper first and keep a record of the length needed.
    Regards, Dennis.