Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Disc Cutter - Beginner's Question

Literally just found them! On the knowledge base site on 'latest articles'. I will try this out later...

She found them first

Quote Originally Posted by trampledown View Post
    Literally just found them! On the knowledge base site on 'latest articles'. I will try this out later...
    The members are in a sulk. Could they have the link please? Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 19-10-2011 at 02:50 PM.

http://portalgc.knowledgebase.net/di...spx?aid=315301

Added - sorry, it was worth a try, but the knowledgebase doesn't seem to allow direct linking after all... It worked when I checked it on my work PC.
    Last edited by ps_bond; 20-10-2011 at 06:09 AM.

Intrestingly the instructions suggest that you can use the cone shaped punches to locate the first (smaller) hole and then using a larger punch, cut a washer.
    If this works, it offers a remarkably inexpensive alternative to the Swanstrom, but of course much more primitive. Dennis.

Engaging brain in the cold light of day, I note that no sizes are given, so that any washers made might not be large enough to turn into rings. Something beginners long to do, because of their dread of soldering. However shallow cone washers might be transferred to a collet plate to make tapered collets.

I have the collet plate and use it with tube, but it is quite challenging to get a tidy result. Not surprisingly I am unwilling to add to my tools graveyard by buying the disk cutter set to try this idea. Dennis.

I'm still getting a feel for bending a strip accurately for making a collet - it'll come with practice, but at the moment I still make a rough plot of how much curvature I need then bend it to shape.

You're correct that these won't do ring diameters - the largest punch being 5/8" means that you're probably not going to go much over 18mm successfully.