Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rust in stainless steel shot?

Default Rust in stainless steel shot?

Hello all
    I have been using a tumbler with barrelbrite for a year without problem. When I am not using it for a few days I lay out the stainless steel shot on a teetowell, make sure its dry and its perfect. Recently I purchased some more stainless steel mixed shot to top up my supply, and now when I do the same thing (leaving it on a teetowell) after a few hours it has turned rusty. Its happened 3 times now, and I have to retumble the lot for hours to clean it. Any clue as to why this is happening before I call the supplier to query to product? The only difference between my first bag of shot and this is there is one shape different (its like a thin nail, 10mm long).
    Thank you
    Meli

Are you sure that it's stainless steel?

The price I paid for it, it should be, and it says stainless steel mixed shot on the packet.

I never take my stainless steel shot out of my tumbler even when i'm not using it. Barrelbrite contains an ingredient that stops the shot rusting. I've had my shot in the same solution for over a year and its been fine.

Laura is right. Shot is best stored in its soapy solution, as it requires oxygen to form iron oxide, so rusts best in humid air, or on a slightly damp cloth. There are various alloys that come under the heading of stainless steel, so it is also possible that they are reacting with each other electrolytically, whereas they would remain perfectly bright not in contact. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by lesley View Post
    Are you sure that it's stainless steel?
    Did that sound patronising? It's just that I've made that mistake in the past.

I think most of us store our shot in soapy water. I wouldn't have the patience to rinse and dry it!

Oh boy! I rinse and dry daily and haven't had any rust problems yet. I like seeing all that mucky water disappear down the drain instead of being used for my shiny new pieces Besides which, I'm not too sure about using the same water if I've been tumbling copper and am then doing silver.
    Elaine at Mead Moon
    Mead Moon
    My Etsy shop

Well, I rinse and change the water regularly......and store in fresh water - not a total skank.

I've had mine for years. It doesn't make any difference whether I store it wet or dry, it just doesn't rust at all.

Quote Originally Posted by MeadMoon View Post
    I'm not too sure about using the same water if I've been tumbling copper and am then doing silver.
    Yes after my experiment, described last month, which involved tumbling copper, I used the same solution for my next load of silver. Surprisingly the silver came out with a reddish cast. I was not in the mood to just try re-tumbling with new solution, so I re-pickled to clear it. Dennis.