Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rust in stainless steel shot?

Where have people got their shot from? I'm now concerned about my potential purchase from Rio Grande! Also I live in a very hard water area - does that make any difference as to which soap I should use as I still need to get this too!
    Any advice greatly appreciated!
    Tanya

For the first part of your question see the other thread 'Tumbler Barrels'.
    For the second part, I happen to use TSP that I had over from another project. It is a common detergent which comes as a white powder and I add about two teaspoons to the water. There are sometimes cheap offers http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&k...l_8zj6ltyn47_e
    Alternatives are any soaps or detergents without added oils or fragrances, so the cheapest available. Jewellers' suppliers recommend Barrelbrite, but I fail to see how it can improve on what I already have. Dennis.

The rio shot is excellent Tanya - good choice (and good value too).

As for barelling medium, if you are in a hard water area, don't use barrelbrite - it just doesn't work. The Raytech barrelling medium from Manchester Minerals is tood, as is TSP. Thanks to Dennis for that recommendation - it works well and foams nicely even with our very hard water.

I bought my shot from Rio several years ago. I use a couple of drops of fairy liquid and change water everyday. I don't dry my shot, just rinse it out in a sieve; rinse the barrel out and return the wet shot to the barrel - and it's ready for use again I've been doing this for several years and haven't noticed any rust appearing at all.

My shot was from Manchester Minerals about 8 years ago and it's so well worn by now that I'm loath to add any new stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    The rio shot is excellent Tanya - good choice (and good value too).

As for barelling medium, if you are in a hard water area, don't use barrelbrite - it just doesn't work. The Raytech barrelling medium from Manchester Minerals is tood, as is TSP. Thanks to Dennis for that recommendation - it works well and foams nicely even with our very hard water.
    Thanks George, that makes me feel much better so I'll confirm my order now!

And thank you to everone else too. I'll look into all the options suggested and probably pick the cheapest!

Hello all

Thanks so much for all the comments and advice. After my shot going rusty again over the weekend, I have just called the supplier and they have asked I send the rusty shot back to them as they said stainless steel shot should not rust and my batch must be a supplier problem and they will replace it. I just hope I dont have to wait too long for my replacement bag!

Meli