Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Struggling to sell at fairs

Well, you've had your initiation and ragging now Paul. You story chimes with the way many of us started, so well--just welcome to the forum. Dennis.

Thanks to everyone for my welcome -

I must add that although I have lived and worked in Dubai for over 17 years now, I think the time is very close for us to head back to the UK.

I spent all of my working career from age of 16 with large national companies, and I feel its time for me to try to make money for myself and not someone else.

Hence why i joined this forum.

I have a few business ideas, and wanted to see how feasible they were, and if there was anyone else who was interested in joining up with me.... but for the moment I'm just happy adding my 10p where ever I think it may be useful.

Thanks Again paul AKA Mr beaujangles

I was looking at the Ikea cabinet and found one second-hand at a very good price, but when I went to pick it up it was so heavy that I could not handle it on my own. Since I have no-one to help when doing events, I regretfully had to decline the offer

My current display uses three different sizes of clear acrylic square storage jars and an earring (tree) stand. The jars and lids can be used together or separately and very few people realise that they are not purpose built acrylic cubes.
    Elaine at Mead Moon
    Mead Moon
    My Etsy shop

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by MeadMoon View Post
    I was looking at the Ikea cabinet and found one second-hand at a very good price, but when I went to pick it up it was so heavy that I could not handle it on my own. Since I have no-one to help when doing events, I regretfully had to decline the offer

My current display uses three different sizes of clear acrylic square storage jars and an earring (tree) stand. The jars and lids can be used together or separately and very few people realise that they are not purpose built acrylic cubes.
    that is good to know. I have limitations due to some med probs - so welcome hints and tips. But, there can be too many. I may need to have some professional help (in more ways than one... hehehe)

The ikea cabinet as you'd expect from ikea is flat packed but it's easier than a lot of their things to build and if I remember rightly only needs and Allen key. I can't lift it when it's built but I have built it myself. It's stored under the bed in between times as I've nowhere to keep it otherwise. I also have perpspex cubes from 3d displays that I also build up, which people seem to prefer to the cabinet at the OS for some reason, but they are a bigger outlay and they need a bit more care because they scratch more easily

Maybe I need to try the pieces when disassembled then. The single pieces of glass are heavy in their own right, but you reckon that one weakling can manage them?
    Elaine at Mead Moon
    Mead Moon
    My Etsy shop

Being cheap cabinets, they're not ideal for repeated dismantling. For the ACJW exhibitions we use these as standard (with Purlfrost on the back of them) and the ones that have been pulled apart a few times are significantly more rickety. Oh, and if you're transporting them assembled, pad them at the door & between the shelf supports & the glass, the noise is nerve-wracking otherwise!

Realistically, they're a 2 person carry - not purely wrt strength but also safety. A small sack trolley and a bungee is also very helpful.