Thread: the eternal rolling mill question

Default the eternal rolling mill question

I know there have been a few of them, but I'm still undecided.

I would really like to get a rolling mill in order to thin metal sheet and solder down and also to make rectangular wire in different gauges. I currently use 5x1.7 and 6x2 and I'd like to start using 8x2. It would be hugely convenient if I could just buy 6 or 8x2 and roll or maybe draw down to a thinner gauge.

Now I can see cookies have the economy mill and as it comes with 5 rollers I assume it has wire rollers, but I'm guessing that it's a bit... well... not well made. However, the durstan which would do the biz is £500 more. I'm currently in the position of being a little bit cash rich but time poor so not really likely to be doing much in the way of making until after new year, but 700 quid is still a lot of dosh.

My recycling nature has kept me scouring ebay and preloved for second hand mills, but they seem to be as rare as hen's teeth now I can actually afford one.

So, do I get the economy one (or even on one of the lookie-likies on ebay) and maybe buy a decent drawplate for the wire, go mad on a C130, or sit tight and wait until I see a good mill second hand?

I covet a big durston - with double rollers - but couldn't justify the cost, so in the meantime I have an Indian cheapie, which actually does the job pretty well. I have two sets of rollers, one for wire and one wide plain set and find changing them pretty easy now.

I will have that big mill in time, but not quite yet....

I saw some of your posts, George when searching. do you have the cookies economy mill? How's it holding up? I have a horror of buying cheap and buying twice.

I may be selling some of my workshop equipment soon if my wife has anything to do with it. I have a Durston D2 mill fixed to a floor standing Durston Cabinet Stand. I also have a large Cavallin drawbench which will also be for sale. I am not sure what route to go down, I am told that Ebay might be good, but I may try some of my trade or forum friends first when the time comes.
    James

My cheap mill was from t4j. I've had it a couple of years and it's still going strong. I have to watch the calibration when changing the rollers, and not having a gauge drives me potty (I always end up turning the adjustment screw in the wrong direction), but it's certainly done its job.

James - can I go in the queue if you decide to sell the Durston please!

I'd love a drawbench but I don't think I've got room for it really.

My parents were going to bring me over a mill from the UK on their last visit, but as the price of silver shot up I thought it better to buy the silver and carry on with recycling my scrap by melting and bashing. However I still, almost weekly look at the link to tj4 and other mills, how sad is that :0)

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    I may be selling some of my workshop equipment soon if my wife has anything to do with it. I have a Durston D2 mill fixed to a floor standing Durston Cabinet Stand. I also have a large Cavallin drawbench which will also be for sale. I am not sure what route to go down, I am told that Ebay might be good, but I may try some of my trade or forum friends first when the time comes.
    James
    I think even in my obsession for the best, a D2 might be overkill for what I need unless it's coming in at a really fabulous price.

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    My cheap mill was from t4j. I've had it a couple of years and it's still going strong. I have to watch the calibration when changing the rollers, and not having a gauge drives me potty (I always end up turning the adjustment screw in the wrong direction), but it's certainly done its job.

James - can I go in the queue if you decide to sell the Durston please!
    hmmm... I'll have a look there. If James does decide to sell on the forum, will we have to have some kind of gladiatorial contest to see who gets it?

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    I'd love a drawbench but I don't think I've got room for it really.
    same here. my workshop is only about 4 foot by 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwant View Post
    My parents were going to bring me over a mill from the UK on their last visit, but as the price of silver shot up I thought it better to buy the silver and carry on with recycling my scrap by melting and bashing. However I still, almost weekly look at the link to tj4 and other mills, how sad is that :0)
    Oh trust me, I'm with you there. The other half keeps asking what's wrong with me always looking at flower presses (which is what he thinks they are!)