Thread: Not a valid file?

Default Not a valid file?

When I try to post a JPEG file, using the paperclip above, even pictures I have posted before, the message comes up 'Not a valid file'.
    This has happened to me before and needed intervention. So could Dave or Peter please have o go? Many thanks, Dennis.

Hi Dennis - me too I'm afraid. Probably the same thing as last time so I'll get it flagged.

Phew - I can stop banging my head against a brick wall then. Have just spent a frustrating few hours trying to create an album so I can post a photo before the autumn challenge theme closes. Its the first time I've attempted to attach a photo - and tbh have been going round and round in circles, even finding the FAQ section not altogether helpful. I too got the message "not a valid file" and have been trying to find out exactly what are the valid file formats. I also haven't managed to find out what the maximum file size is that I can download - although I have had messages telling me that my file is too large.

Currently on holiday with my little netbook and no mouse, and, even more irritatingly I left my card reader at home.

Hopefully this'll get sorted before close of play tomorrow ............ .

Now to catch up on a week of posts.

Sorry... one of the settings wasn't changed when we moved servers. Its been fixed now. Any further problems, let me know.

Regards

Dave

Ah! That's why! Hence linking to Flickr in my post on the competition thread
    Indi

Thank you, that's solved that, but it brings me to another burning question:

1. When I download pictures from Photobucket they are much too large.(see my competition entry). I have tried editing the pictures and selecting 'pre-set sizes small', and 'replace image', but when they appear on the forum they are still the same huge size. I think I must be missing out a step, but what?

2. Oh yes, I nearly forgot, but it is happening now. Intermittently when I am typing my post, the cursor stops blinking, and disappears from the line. It is then difficult to continue, and I have to cut and paste to Word to finish.

Now I am about to paste it back. Dennis.

the simplest thing is to add a size to the [IMG] code. So it could read [IMG width=400] your image details .jpg [/IMG]

If you've edited a size after an original posting, though, you may need to refresh your screen to see the new version. You're probably seeing a cached version of the original.

I like seeing the large sized photos it helps see the detail of the work you guys post and I was under the impression if we did not upload, linking to a place like flickr or photobucket was ok and the size did not matter. Am I wrong?

I'm more in favour of using Flickr, personally - their servers have the capacity to handle large files.

Thanx George, I'll have another go. Dennis.