Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Copper with Sterling Silver

Hi Dennis, that was an interesting experiment, I have got a pic of my bangle and I have taken a shot of the back of another piece to show you the difference in colour, but unfortunately for some reason I cant download it to the forum, if you want to give me your email address I will send it to you for a comparison. The only thing that I can think is that perhaps the copper wasnt clean enough before I put it in the tumbler, the silver bangles I know needed cleaning, thats why I put them in the tumbler in the first place. I hate cleaning silver, when I was little I used to have to clean my grandmothers silver bowls, coffee pots etc and I hated it, and she seemed to have loads of it too. I have only heard of TCP as an ointment to put on cuts, never as a "soap", can you give me a supplier please, it would be useful not to have scum - yuk.

After digesting what you said in the post, it looks like brushing with a brass brush and liquid soap before putting it in the tumbler would bring it up as I expected it to be using the tumbler on its own without any previous treatments.

Another thought, looking at your tumbled versions, ( in pic 3), the first and second strips have gone darker than when they were just out of the pickle, so is the conclusion to brass brush and and hand polish perhaps, maybe copper isnt happy being tumbled. I didnt pickle my bracelet, it went from soldering the jumprings to the tumbler with just a quick rinse in between, maybe not even a rinse, I really cant remember, just stood aghast as it came out.

Answers to Pat:
    1.Yes it’s best to pickle soldered objects before tumbling, as it gets rid of the flux and the cuprous oxide even on sterling. You will also have noted the powdery brown deposit when it comes out of the pickle (or even just quenching in water) This would certainly pollute your tumbler.
    2. TSP is trisodium phosphate http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&sugex...w=1280&bih=649.
    3. Photo three was a bit tricky because it is more difficult to reproduce shiny surfaces.
    4. To post photos, opt for GO ADVANCED, click on the paperclip, browse your photos and open the one you want to send, then upload. It’s similar to emails really, and better for all the members to have the benefit of your experience. Regards, Dennis.

What is the difference between Barrelbrite and TSP then please, do they do the same thing, we live in a very soft water area. Never get furry kettles!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    What is the difference between Barrelbrite and TSP then please, do they do the same thing, we live in a very soft water area. Never get furry kettles!!!!
    I've no idea Pat, but I imagine not a lot. As it is a branded detergent, I don't think they disclose the ingredients. I had the best part of 500g of TSP over from an experiment with niobium, so here is a good way to use it up. I think that if you look for special offers, TSP is also cheaper. Dennis.