Thread: Which wire cutters do I need?

Default Which wire cutters do I need?

Sorry if this question has already been answered elsewhere in the forums - I couldn't find a relevant thread, so please point me in the right direction if I've missed it!

I'm looking for some advice on wire cutters. I bought a little (inexpensive) pair from a local bead shop a couple of months ago and they're already getting blunt and cut wire into a sharp point, rather than straight across.

I'm using them to cut 0.5, 0.8 and 1.5 round silver wire - all soft I think. I bought small cutters specifically for snipping the 0.5 and 0.8 wires close against beads after wrapping, etc, so I'd really prefer a neater finish as I can't file the ends. For the 1.5 wire I'd also prefer a neater finish, so I have less filing to do before soldering!

Should I be using different cutters for the different wire thicknesses? I've seen side cutters, end cutters, shears and saws on Cooksons and I'm a bit lost to be honest!

I'm on a tight budget and can't afford to spend a lot, but I would really appreciate some advice!

Many thanks, Shelley

Hi Shelley,

No doubt some members will come up with their favourite cutters, but in general the cheaper the cutters the more quickly they will blunten. Also all but the most exotic cutters cut flush on one side and pointy on the other. They are meant for soft metals, such as copper and silver and some catalogues specify a maximum wire thickness for each model. Using a fine saw blade also gives a flush cut, and square as well if you use a tube cutting guide with it.

In the absence of further advice, I suggest you look at companies such as Cookson or Walsh and choose the best you can afford. Then hide them away, so that no one can borrow them . Regards, Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 01-09-2011 at 01:21 PM.

That's really helpful Dennis, thank you. I'll have a look at cutters on Cooksons and see what I can afford. I think I'll ask my jeweller friend if I can have a go with her little handsaw as well!