Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My new business cards...

Quote Originally Posted by The Bijou Dragon View Post
    ...I don't do phone numbers for a couple of reasons, I have in the past had a stalker... so I never give out phone numbers anymore unfortunately, we're moving in a few weeks and don't want to change the number and I don't have a mobile phone so for security we can't give out our landline number and we don't like spam callers!
    Do you not have phone and address info on your website? If you have a shopping cart, UK distance selling regulations require you to have these by law. I hate it, but I do know of a couple of people who've been in trouble over this.

On a non-legal note, I don't put a telephone number on business cards, but stamp it on the back of those I give to potential customers who may want to get back to me. It's certainly led to a fair number of commissions that I might not otherwise have had - I find a lot of people, especially older ones, are very suspicious about buying online and are far happier if they can ring up and sort things out that way.

Its interesting that phone numbers and addresses are mentioned. I don't mind giving out my telephone number, but don't want my address on my card for security reasons. (I don't have a website, I just give out cards to people I meet and give them my address if they want to visit, once I've met them first). Having a website would be a big step for me and I am not sure I want that, yet.

How do others feel about not giving out an address vs security ?

Jules x

Just love the cards, but then anything with a dragon on will get my vote.

Have you thought of getting the design mage up as a stamp? Maybe you could get some of those peelable shaped lables, stamp the logo on them and use them to secure tissue paper etc that you wrap your products in?

Like you say it will get you noticed.

Annie
    Annie xXx

All things are possible - if you look at them the right way!

Thumbs up They look great.

I really like your business card design! I like the fact you have played around with the backing material to make them unique. The dragon looks impressive and the font suits the image.

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Do you not have phone and address info on your website? If you have a shopping cart, UK distance selling regulations require you to have these by law. I hate it, but I do know of a couple of people who've been in trouble over this.

That's intersting that you know of people who have got in trouble. I was thinking about taking my details off the website as I hate it having to be there and lately I've been wondering whether anyone would notice if I took it off...

As for telephone numbers, I would NEVER use my home number as I get SOOOO many sales calls to my mobile now from publishing that on the internet - its very frustrating!

And don't talk to me about spam!! (hundreds of emails a day!)

Oh and yes Bijou, your cards are really fab!

Quote Originally Posted by Petal View Post
    Its interesting that phone numbers and addresses are mentioned. I don't mind giving out my telephone number, but don't want my address on my card for security reasons. (I don't have a website, I just give out cards to people I meet and give them my address if they want to visit, once I've met them first). Having a website would be a big step for me and I am not sure I want that, yet.

How do others feel about not giving out an address vs security ?

Jules x
    Given that my Dad was a Policeman you can imagine how I feel about giving out my home address where I store all my jewellery can't you?!

Talk about making it easy for the burglars... and also living in London with the amount of gangs that go around bursting into houses with machetes AND the fact it happened twice in the next street to random people... I'd rather get in trouble with the law than give out my home address or phone number!

On the subject of the font, I chose it because the 'O's' look like Dragons eyes

Quote Originally Posted by The Bijou Dragon View Post
    Given that my Dad was a Policeman you can imagine how I feel about giving out my home address where I store all my jewellery can't you?!

Talk about making it easy for the burglars... and also living in London with the amount of gangs that go around bursting into houses with machetes AND the fact it happened twice in the next street to random people... I'd rather get in trouble with the law than give out my home address or phone number!

On the subject of the font, I chose it because the 'O's' look like Dragons eyes
    Hi Nic,

OMG I forgot to say how fantastic your new cards are. Now they are just SO unique and very professional - can't believe I didn't say anything sooner

I'm really sorry you were stalked Nic, that must have been a very difficult experience to have come through and you have a big and a from me. Its such a shame that these things happen.

The reason I posed the question on security was because there was a burglary a while ago of someone in Shrops. who'd got a lot of semi-precious jewellery/beads at home and it made me think (a lot), about advertising the fact that I make and sell jewellery and where I live, which is why I don't have my address on my cards. I had thought I was being a bit paranoid about giving out my personal info vs trying to sell my stuff, but am glad I haven't told too many people. I want to sell to people locally, but feel I have to be very careful who I advertise my stuff to.

Hugs from me Jules x

I think if you work from home as many of us do it presents a HUGE security risk if we have to publish our address particularly if you're a young woman. It's not so bad if you have business premises as the risk of coming face to face with someone is lessened as they would probably rather rob you when there's no one there.

The same applies to people adding stickers to their car advertising their websites, it's so easy to follow one home and again represents a security risk! Also some of us are living in rented accommodation and running a business from them is a huge no-no.

Perhaps when I move to Cornwall I may feel differently about publishing my address but while I live in London it's not going to happen, law or no law! The couple around the corner from me were just watching TV one night when a gang broke in and robbed them almost severing the poor mans arm right off... what for? a few pounds they had lying around the house. There's no way in the world I will expose myself any my OH to that kind of risk.

My stalker has moved onto pastures new... or at least I haven't heard from him in a while anyway but in this day and age there's enough SPAM coming via e-mail, my phone is ex directory and my address is private on the electoral register along with being registered with the Mailing and Telephone preference service. Privacy, peace of mind and security mean alot to me especially as I have said before because my Dad was a Policeman and maybe I am more wary than others due to the fact I know the seedier side of life and don't blindly and naively do things others would do!

I have both a contact form and an e-mail contact along with the fact that if people buy anything they get a printed receipt which shows my address so anyone who needs to know, knows. Spammers and the more dubious can sod right off I'm afraid!

God i am thick, never occured to me that someone would look at an address on a business card and think "oh she makes Jewellery she must have a stash of stuff at her place lets go look"

duly noted for when the times comes to advertise my stuff. Thank you hun
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away

Yes but you would have to already know about whois... most people don't!

People likely to go around burgling people with machetes aren't very likely to be over bright now are they?

I'll protect my security as much as I can and you can do whatever you like... I won't say I told you so when you've been burgled or robbed... I promise!
    Last edited by The Bijou Dragon; 19-08-2009 at 12:50 PM.