Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making Washers and Replacement Disc Cutter Punches

Default Making Washers and Replacement Disc Cutter Punches

I have the pepe disc cutter, bought it several years ago from Cooksons. I have 2 questions I'm hoping someone may be able to help me with

First where can I get a replacement punch for the just under 5mm size think its the 3/16" as I broke that one

Second, trying to make washers. I'm making the middle cut first and I got a tool from a collet forming punch set perfect to help me centre so I get a proper washer but this is about 13mm and too big, I need a centering punch that is 11mm and with a point that will center a 5mm middle hole if that makes sense. What is the item called as I cant search as dont know what I'm looking for

Thanks
    Helen

Hi Helen,
    For your Pepe question I would suggest you e-mail the company direct here http://www.pepetools.com/products.ph.../categoryid/82 .

To my knowledge, the Swanstrom disc cutter is the only one with a dedicated add on to make washers, but you pay heavily for the privilege. I presume you want washers to make into rings.
    Much better to learn to solder, a skill jewellers use all the time and then make your rings from strips, or wires. After all it’s not rocket science. Regards, Dennis.

wouldn't washers be uncomfortable to wear as rings? also 11mm diameter is quite small for a ring. I'm guessing it's to make components for necklaces or bracelets or something.

I was referring to this Liz, if you have about $400 to spare:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceuFqGia4gk

Its to make bead caps not for rings so soldering isnt the answer unfortunately. I'm trying to nake washers from sheet silver that I have printed a pattern on with my rolling mill, I can make perfect discs but need an 11mm outer diameter and approx 5mm inner and for the inner one to be in the middle. I make the inside cut first, eyeballing simply doesnt work and what I'm after is something like the swanstrom pointed centering tool but cheaper and I only want one size, I'm trying to search but not sure what its called.

also thanks for the pepe link, does that mean there is no suppliesr of the cutter spares here in the uk?
    Last edited by Enchanted Cobwebs; 20-08-2011 at 06:06 PM.

Could you get a wood turner to make you one?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I was referring to this Liz, if you have about $400 to spare:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceuFqGia4gk
    wow that's nifty!

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    Could you get a wood turner to make you one?
    Thats a thought... I have been carrying my calipers with me everywhere to see if I can something that will do the trick as even the right size knitting needle would work problem is I need 9.5mm and 11mm neither available in knitting needle sizes, maybe even a jumbo pencil?

For the centring punches, Delrin might do; turning it down to size is easy enough. If the cutting punch is definitely 3/16", I may well have some silver steel rod that diameter that can be cut & heat treated.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    For the centring punches, Delrin might do; turning it down to size is easy enough. If the cutting punch is definitely 3/16", I may well have some silver steel rod that diameter that can be cut & heat treated.
    Thank you
    As I didnt know what delrin was I searched and see its a stiff plastic type stuff but cant see 9.5mm rod. would it be easy to pare down? The cutting punch is the 3/16" though when I measure its 4.72mm not 4.76 so a weeny bit smaller or my calipers are not 100% accurate. I wouldnt know where to start cutting steel rod or heat treating it though so maybe I will just have to import the replacement. It seems such a shame that I can buy the tool here but not the replacement part, also a shame I smashed it! In fact I think I only paid £35 for the set admittedly it was a few years ago but it will cost more than that to replace one with post and everything else. Maybe I should just manage till I have enough pennies for the swanstrom kit.
    Think I'm not finding what I'm after here because its not available, do many others search for stuff like this?