Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fumes!

Default Fumes!

Don't you just hate it when you make stupid stupid ordering mistakes? I just bought 19 inches of 6x2 instead of 5x1.7 grrrrr!

I do feel a bit better getting that off my chest. I'll feel even better if I hear i'm not the only one.

Sorry to hear about that Liz, but on the positive side, at least its bigger. So if you can find a pal with a rolling mill, you can roll it down and cut off the surplus. It's even possible your supplier will do that for you, or better still, draw it down to the size you want. By the way, what are you making?

Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 27-08-2011 at 03:05 PM. Reason: addig the drawbench option

~face palm~ I never thought of that! Though I do not have a rolling mill or a drawbench. I got it from cookies, so not really feasible to post it back and and anyway, I just bought the stuff I should have got.

I'm making a collar. I got three serious inquiries for collars in the space of two and a half days. one wanted the 6x2, one wanted 5x1.7 and the other couldn't decide at first, but eventually went with the 5x1.7. I must have had a brain fart and ordered the 6x2. It is possible that the one wanting the 6x2 may yet order, though the likelihood of that must be slim, right? Still, I now have a reasonable length of silver and I think I got it when there was a bit of a price dip, so it's not all bad.

I'm going to look at getting a drawbench. I think they must be cheaper than a mill...

Draw benches are actually very expensive and I have tried two common versions in the college I attend.They were both a pain in the neck to use, so I have dug up my post for the one I made for myself nearly 16 years ago and which is still going strong. That said I think you might have to give priority to a torch big enough to work the rectangular wire you describe.

http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/hot...down-wire.html. Dennis.

Ingenious! I do actually have a big torch which I have used for annealing bigger stuff in the past. It's too big for anything else. I had thought about maybe just bracing a drawplate against my feet. I have read about that being a way to do it. The biggest issue with the bench is room. I don't really have much, but maybe I could incorporate it into my bench....

hmmmm.... more stuff to try and buy!

ETA: and yes, I looked at drawbenches and nearly fainted at the cost!

Joy! one of the commissions for the thicker collar has come through!

That's a relief Liz. You know you're always welcome to have a go with my rolling mill.

it is! ~silly grin~

and I will for sure take you up on that. Now my hours have been butchered, I'm only up in camborne a couple of hours a day. I want to roll a bit of gold as thin as possible, how thin can one go?

Gold leaf?

leaf would be too thin for me, but if a mill can go that thin, then it's for sure worth a go!