Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ijl

Out of interest Dennis, would it be possible for me to have a play with your frame? I've not managed to break the ends off any blades with mine, which *should* be the same - but who knows? They're definitely a lot slower in changing blades than a traditional frame is; my older 3" frame is a Vallorbe one with a similar setup for clamping the blades which I used in preference when facing a lot of blade swaps.

I went yesterday, mainly to buy gems. It was much quieter than the previous years. I must say the choice wasn't as good either and the prices on the gems were much higher. But I did get some really nice stones, very reasonably priced too .

I went to IJL today, I arrived soon after it had opened and it was quite empty, so I had no problem visiting the stands I had planned to visit. I did have a half hour chat with Lee Marshall on the Suttons Tool Stand, which was nice as we had never met before. he told me that his saw frames will possibly be available at Cooksons in the near future. As others will probably say there was nothing really knew to see and I am sure that the continuing increase in the price of gold will effect our trade and a few companies will soon be struggling for sales. I see today's raw gold gram price is higher than that of platinum, when will this madness stop?
    James

No time soon, I suspect - with new stories about China stockpiling gold and the likes. Still, as was pointed out to me recently - it's not that gold's getting more expensive, just that the currency is getting less valuable... Cheery stuff.

Dennis - I'd be delighted to take your frame off your hands I need a replacement 5" as a "friend" seems to have appropriated mine....

Dennis, I have the 5 inch Knew Concept and the bottom clamp often bends the tip of the blade at a right angle, sending the whole of the blade over to one side. I can fix it by unclamping, bending the tip back (tweezers, scissors, pressing on the bench) and then reclamping, but it happens with half the blades. I use Vallorbe blades but I've only used fairly fine ones so far with this frame.

Lesley, If one of the clamps is bending saw blades, then it is most surely misaligned. This is a common problem with these frames, it is easily fixed with the use of a suitable small allen key, for details see; http://www.knewconcepts.com/questions.php

James

Thanks James.

Not really sure how to adjust it though, or where I get a 5/64" hex key (allen key?) from.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Out of interest Dennis, would it be possible for me to have a play with your frame? I've not managed to break the ends off any blades with mine, which *should* be the same - but who knows? They're definitely a lot slower in changing blades than a traditional frame is; my older 3" frame is a Vallorbe one with a similar setup for clamping the blades which I used in preference when facing a lot of blade swaps.
    Hi Peter,

This all started when I added some Laser gold blades to my Rio Grande order, on the strength that they are "the most flexible blades you can buy". The irony is that they were incompatible with the USA frame. I tried polishing the screw ends, with no improvement.

As you were first to ask, I should be pleased to send it on to you, on PM of an address. Should you not want to keep it, please forward it to George if she then still wants it. Regards, Dennis.

Hi Dennis - as I've already got one, so all I was looking to do was compare the 2 and see if there was anything between them! I've seen Lee's comments on Ganoksin blaming the blades... Having become used to my more primitive adjustable frame, needing to be careful about which brand of blades to use seems alien.

Lesley, I may have a spare knocking about - give me a few days to look.