Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations please, tools and IJL

Question Recommendations please, tools and IJL

Ok i got several questions. (makes a change:P)

This project that i want to do, requires me to learn some new techniques, like flush stone setting, and i want to round out one end of the silver sheet. I think this is called Doming, and i have seen various blocks, but i wondered if someone could just tell me what equipment i need to make this dome in the sheet, it will only be small, kinda how you do it? and also if i need to wait til my skills have improved?

Also the stone setting, what tools do you need? i hear words bandied about like, burrs and pushers and bezels and collets, what tools would you recomment i get first?(Jay i may still bug you for this one for a demo, if you dont mind?)

(Bearing in mind we have a show coming up, i wanna be prepared.)

I am hoping to get a tumbler at the show, mainly for polishing my silver, is there a particuar make that i should look out for? a good size barrel? i already understand its best to get a rubber barrel with fins, and i believe mixed stainless steel shot is best. Is there anything else that i need apart from shot and water?

Kilns, knowing that i am going on Nics course for PMC, and that i am very interested in enamalling etc i just know that i am gonna be wanting to get a kiln pretty soon too, so the show will be an excellent chance to look at them. I know even less about kilns so, are there any tried and tested recommended makes for these and also again? what accessories do you need?

Are there any other tips you can give me about how to work round the show as i have never been to anything other than Crufts a long time ago lol. Is there a best way to work round the stands? should i make notes of stand numbers that have things i like but not buy til i have been right round? you know stuff like that.

I am sorry to fire so many questions at once but i want to make a list to take to the show so that i can work methodically and know what i am doing (i am terrified of new places, new people (even tho all my cookies are wonderful) and crowds so i have to try to prepare everything to help me to focus on what i am actually there for. I know 47 and a complete scaredy cat lol. Thats why i bubble so much - its a huge defence mechanism that hides my fears lol. I am sure there will be more questions to follow but i will give you a break for now.

*runs off to bedroom to get Jewellery book to study more*
    Last edited by bustagasket; 16-08-2009 at 09:10 AM.
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away

Quote Originally Posted by bustagasket View Post
    Ok i got several questions. (makes a change:P)
    Kilns, knowing that i am going on Nics course for PMC, and that i am very interested in enamalling etc i just know that i am gonna be wanting to get a kiln pretty soon too, so the show will be an excellent chance to look at them. I know even less about kilns so, are there any tried and tested recommended makes for these and also again? what accessories do you need?
    I can help you with this one as I have two and have used most fo the other brands
    Mine are the Paragon sc2 and the Ultralite Kiln, I'll show you them both on the course.
    Can't remember seeing Kilns at the show but there are normally tool suppliers
    so you could get burrs etc
    Nic x
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

Quote Originally Posted by MuranoSilver View Post
    I can help you with this one as I have two and have used most fo the other brands
    Mine are the Paragon sc2 and the Ultralite Kiln, I'll show you them both on the course.
    Can't remember seeing Kilns at the show but there are normally tool suppliers
    so you could get burrs etc
    Nic x
    Ty Nic! I will write those kiln names down in my book. I am hoping that even if kilns arent there, they might have leaflets and stuff. Do you favoour one of your kilns over the other? or do they have seperate uses?

Yeah in a way its annoying that the show is before your course lol, are there any tools for PMC that i should look out for while i am there?
    Su' xx

One day i will arrive

I ues them for defferent things but my favourite is my SC2

The show isn't really a PMC based show - but don't worry about tools
    you get some to take away as part of my course PLUS you can try the many
    tools I have and see which ones you'd use before paying out £££'s
    Nic xx
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

Quote Originally Posted by MuranoSilver View Post
    I ues them for defferent things but my favourite is my SC2

The show isn't really a PMC based show - but don't worry about tools
    you get some to take away as part of my course PLUS you can try the many
    tools I have and see which ones you'd use before paying out £££'s
    Nic xx
    WWWWWwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwoohooooooooooooo ty hun ) I didnt realise that!

I can see i am gonna enjoy this course so much lol. Lets think what other things do i wanna learn? do you do courses in other stuff too? pls? pleas? pretty please with a cherry on top?
    Su' xx

One day i will arrive

I got a tiny little kiln - as I am so short on space. It works a treat for pmc - fully programmable and inexpensive to run. The only drawback that I can see for me in the future is if I want to go into bronzclay or copprclay which need to be fired in carbon in a stainless steel container with a lid... I'd be lucky to get a stainless steel pepper pot in my kiln!!! But if you only have a small area and a small bank balance then the Prometheus kiln - like I have got - is brilliant. Here is some of the blurb...
    http://www.prometheuskilns.com/docs/prometheus_pro1.pdf

I bought mine for £300 about 18 months ago from joyfunnell.co.uk as she was the cheapest I could find on the net. She is still about the best although it has gone up a bit. She does only seem to have one to sell at a time as well - so you might have to order one rather than get it 'off the shelf' if you were interested.

Having said that - If I had all the space in the world - I'd have gone for the paragon one like Nic - as it is so versatile if you want to do glass and other stuff....

Thank you for that Barbara, nice to hear that the paragon is the preferred choice of you both, definately worth getting info on
    Su' xx

One day i will arrive

Quote Originally Posted by bustagasket View Post

Are there any other tips you can give me about how to work round the show as i have never been to anything other than Crufts a long time ago lol. Is there a best way to work round the stands? should i make notes of stand numbers that have things i like but not buy til i have been right round? you know stuff like that.
    I don't think there is a way to do a show - especially if you are in a group...everybody has their own ideas. Select certain things if you want to buy something specific but if you are going to look at 'everything' one starting place and strategy is as good as the next!

Wear really, really comfortable flat shoes...trainers even better...and don't give a damn what you look like. Your feet will hurt more than you can possibly believe!!

Carry a backpack rather than a hand or shoulder bag with all your stuff in. There is nothing more irritating that having to juggle show maps/guides, your notebook and pen and a bag when all you really want to do is have a good look at something or even pick up a business card!! If you are anything like me - it all ends up on the floor!!

You will definitely want a notebook if your memory is as bad as you would have us believe!!... It is so easy to think...'Oh I will remember THAT'...be it a name or design idea...but I can guarantee you won't without having some 'aide memoire'.

Carry a bottle of water and a couple of snack bars and some paracetamol. You would rather die of starvation and thirst than leave the floor with all its lovely goodies beckoning...but if you don't want to pass out from hunger/thirst or a searing headache and the shakes it is better to be prepared. (Sorry - I have no answer for how to get round needing the loo...You'll have to leave the floor for that!!...there are LAWS you know!!!)

If you collect a lot of business cards write a quick note on them to remind you of what stall they came from (or cross reference them with the show guide) or you will never remember...they all tend to look the same when you have picked up a good selection!

Be prepared for total exhaustion!! Make sure that there is a Take Away menu ready for the evening meal and make sure everyone knows not to ask anything of you when you get back because you will not be fit for anything!!!

Have fun!! Don't expect to do it all - because you never do. And don't expect to remember it all - because you won't! (And it isn't just you being inadequate...it happens to everybody.) Don't worry about the other people...the 'new people' that you haven't met before...they are just as hell bent on looking at the displays as you are...and they are all probably just like the rest of us on here...fun, friendly and human(ish!!) ...nothing to fear at all!!

thats great advice Barbara i've done a few different shows and couldn't have put it better ...

Hiya everyone,

A quick break from gardening... The only thing I would add is to check out the prices of some of the stuff on your list before you go to IJL, that way if you see the same thing and know the price of it already, and its cheaper at the show, then you can bag it as a nice bargain! I went to a show last year, saw something I knew I needed, bought it and when I got home realised it was a lot more expensive !

Won't do that again

Jules x