Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ear wires?

Default ear wires?

I need to make some. In the past I've never managed to get the proportions right. So, what thickness of sterling do you guys recommend (I think 1mm is too thin?) and is there some kind of optimum length, width and proportion?

Actually, 1mm is too thick for people with 'ordinary' holes in their ears. I generally use 0.8mm. As for proportions - you can pretty much do what you like as long as they don't fall out and are comfortable to wear!

eh, you say that George, but all attempts have resulted in either teeny tiny wires or ones that are humungus! As the earwire queen, I'll try and fiddle with some 0.8 wire. at least I get more length for my pound to recycle.

Don't fiddle with silver!! Try out designs in copper first. Saves a lot of scrap!

Default Ear Wires.

George is right about the size. I use 0.9 wires, because I think they look more in keeping with my hand made earrings, but each time I do so my teacher puts on a wincy face and questions the thickness.

If you make a lot you can use dedicated pliers which make the whole thing for you. This was on the forum quite recently, but I forget where. Alternatively you can get a block of wood and make a contraption with brass and nails as below. As I don't use them often, I just draw something and bend the wires to match.

It is a good idea to design them with your personal style and make them decorative in their own right. at present I favour big round loops at the top and some parts flattened with a small hammer. Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Don't fiddle with silver!! Try out designs in copper first. Saves a lot of scrap!
    *winces* people keep saying this. and they are right. I must buy more copper!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    George is right about the size. I use 0.9 wires, because I think they look more in keeping with my hand made earrings, but each time I do so my teacher puts on a wincy face and questions the thickness.

If you make a lot you can use dedicated pliers which make the whole thing for you. This was on the forum quite recently, but I forget where. Alternatively you can get a block of wood and make a contraption with brass and nails as below. As I don't use them often, I just draw something and bend the wires to match.

It is a good idea to design them with your personal style and make them decorative in their own right. at present I favour big round loops at the top and some parts flattened with a small hammer. Dennis
    OK that is a great idea. I think I'd feel more confident if I had something to ensure they come out at least a regular looking shape.

as to the size, I think if the earrings are very lightweight, then thin is fine, but I find even moderately heavy earrings hurt if the wires are thin. Is it just me?

If you buy ready made ear wires, they're all .8 thick. I make them from .8 and tumble them until they're work hardened. I've never had anyone complain that they're uncomfortable.

Commercial earwires, especially the cheapest ones, are sometimes made from thinner wire, more of a problem, though, is that they tend to be excessively forged along the curved edge, because it's the cheapest way of getting them to hold their shape. As a result, the part that passes through the ear can be really quite sharp, hence uncomfortable if they're on the heavier side.

Dennis - anything thicker than 0.8mm is very uncomfortable for me - and I'm talking about very old, well healed ear piercings.

Not that old, George? Even my ear posts, which I buy from Fischer for their smart double grooves are 0.9 mm. My 'customers' have not complained, so maybe their ears are more rubbery, or they put up with the pain as you do with tight shoes.

Liz, I remembered it in the night and the pliers for you are the Swanstrom (again), mentioned by Stu-clouds http://www.google.co.uk/#sclient=psy...gc.r_pw.&cad=b
    Dennis

Hi, I found that .9 wires seem to be ok for most people, I do all of mine for sale at that size. As for the length and shaping, we were told at classes that first you bend a small hook or ring at one end, then keeping the hook end in your left hand, hold an ordinary pencil horizontally in your right hand and keeping the hook/circle below the line of the bottom of the pencil bend the wire around the pencil until vertical, keeping the wire on the pencil, bend the vertical end slightly towards the hook/circle, then take off the pencil and put a small kink outwards on the end just to stop it from sticking in the ear, this is easier done with round pliers. That is my first contribution towards the forum, always asking for help but never having any to give until now. Lol.
    Pat