Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: ear wires?

Pearlescense, Is offering two simple solutions for people wishing to make standard ear-wires, as seen in the High Street and I can understand that. But if you are competing and selling your work it is better to put your own stamp on things and even humble ear wires can be made with more flair.

So using a variable jig or one that is custom made, as George suggests, is the way to go. To make your own you just paste your design onto some wood and then put in panel pins, screws or even tap in a strip of sharpened brass to guide the wire. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 29-09-2011 at 11:39 AM.

Well Pearlescense sells the jigs so she has obviously had an input into the design for the most effective way of making the earwires.

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    Well Pearlescense sells the jigs so she has obviously had an input into the design for the most effective way of making the earwires.
    Pat, these are 'EZ Earring Makers' and have been around for years. There's a second version that makes French hooks. They're widely sold in bead shops and on ebay.

Yes Pat, I am not trying to rubbish pearlescence . No doubt there are many who will welcome a readymade solution to this problem.

What I am saying is that as studio jewellers we should not be content to copy something which has already been produced in its billions, but rather present our own individual variation. I have tried to illustrate this on page one of this thread, and have just scanned in one more pic from my photo album. Dennis.

Some people are like cows handling a musket when it comes to making earwires, I just thought for people like that it would be helpful, or people short of time of course, I am as you know retired now, so I have plenty of time, (dont know how I had time to work fulltime), I befriended one girl at a show the other day who had a stall next to us, she did beaded jewellery and bought all her earwires from a bead shop locally. I showed her how to make them as I was bored and trade was a bit slow to say the least, I was making some to fill in the time, and she was amazed at how easy it is, I gave her some wire and she was away. So not everyone is as dexterous, the ones that are make their own, and the ones that arent buy them, or need a jig.

Whoa - I'm a silversmith and able to make variations on earwires too. The jig thing is simply a useful bit of kit which can turn out all sorts of variations on a theme...use wire to make simple hook as per the instructions, use fancy headpin to make same so that the end of the front loop gets fancied up, or use to make all in one wire for half drilled pearls (where the wire goes straight into the pearl with no 'joint'..just for examples.
    It is simply a way to get that curve just right and all the pairs identical. It doesn't even attempt brain surgery, as far as I can tell

Pax, there's room for all of us. What we have established is what forums are for. Have a good weekend, all, it's hot and sunny in London. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    LOL

same as a thing-a-ma-jig - http://www.cooksongold.com/Stringing...-999-0934&p=gs

not as good as making your own, but very quick and simple to use.
    OK, now that kinda looks like something I can manage. I like that it can be rather elaborate as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Pearlescense, Is offering two simple solutions for people wishing to make standard ear-wires, as seen in the High Street and I can understand that. But if you are competing and selling your work it is better to put your own stamp on things and even humble ear wires can be made with more flair.

So using a variable jig or one that is custom made, as George suggests, is the way to go. To make your own you just paste your design onto some wood and then put in panel pins, screws or even tap in a strip of sharpened brass to guide the wire. Dennis.
    Thanks for the more detailed instructions. I just banged some pins into the bench but I think I need more pins to make the shape right and be less hesitant about doing it. The pic you posted looks intriguing, Dennis, but it won't enlarge?

Do people cut the wire to length first or do it after?

Some people are like cows handling a musket when it comes to making earwires, I just thought for people like that it would be helpful, or people short of time of course, I am as you know retired now, so I have plenty of time, (dont know how I had time to work fulltime), I befriended one girl at a show the other day who had a stall next to us, she did beaded jewellery and bought all her earwires from a bead shop locally. I showed her how to make them as I was bored and trade was a bit slow to say the least, I was making some to fill in the time, and she was amazed at how easy it is, I gave her some wire and she was away. So not everyone is as dexterous, the ones that are make their own, and the ones that arent buy them, or need a jig.
    all I can do is moo as I shoot my foot off!

Pearl, I think the jig you have looks really useful but I need something more.... I don't know... but it will no doubt be stupidly labour intensive!

Default My last Picture.

Sorry about my last picture, but there was a problem on the forum (and with my downloading from Photobucket) , so here it is again Liz, but it's only a scan from a print. Dennis.

thanks Dennis. Those are lovely earrings and I like the way the wire is integrated. If I could cast seaweed ear wires, I would.