Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setters cement cooksons 999 681

Default Setters cement cooksons 999 681

"Setters Cement" cooksons 999 681...looked on knowledge base for product information...safety datasheets and product information...but could find no other information other than that provided in catalogue. If, as stated, it is removed by using acetone, what is it...? I came across this when looking for "pitch"...Looks like pitch...weight and price about right for pitch...synthetic/natural?...but without information I do not know what it is...

When I was an apprentice we used to have to make our own setter's cement along with other pitch based products like cutler's cement as the workshop craftsmen
    all had their own recipes and preferences for cement mixtures.
    I used to melt natural Stockholm pitch in a ladle over a gas ring and then add either plaster of Paris or rouge powder or a mixture of both, then I would pour it into a stick mold made up of a row of old flat files laid on a steel flat plate, when cool I ended up with 12 inch square lengths of cement, the setter used to melt this onto a round wooden chuck or onto the end of a 4 inch length of 1 inch diameter wooden dowel.
    An easy method of cleaning off setters cement or pitch based products is to let it soak in a jar of "Polyclens" paint brush cleaner, which dissolves most natural pitch based products.
    here endeth the lesson!
    James

Quote Originally Posted by noname View Post
    "Setters Cement" cooksons 999 681...looked on knowledge base for product information...safety datasheets and product information...but could find no other information other than that provided in catalogue. If, as stated, it is removed by using acetone, what is it...? I came across this when looking for "pitch"...Looks like pitch...weight and price about right for pitch...synthetic/natural?...but without information I do not know what it is...
    I shall have a look at the product for you, and compile some information. Leave it with me I will get back to you after the weekend.

Hope this Helps

Jess

Quote Originally Posted by jsweetingham View Post
    I shall have a look at the product for you, and compile some information. Leave it with me I will get back to you after the weekend.

Hope this Helps

Jess
    Much appreciated, thank you...

Goldsmith, thank you...but curious about the product in cooksons catalogue...just could not find sufficient information, to tell me what it is...other than previously stated...and the fact that it melts with a yellow flame so presumably with a hot air gun or indeed a hair dryer (similar temperature as with pitch?)...but as acetone does not clean off the pitch I had used, (off the shelf product)...I was interested in finding out more about the Cooksons product...

Quote Originally Posted by noname View Post
    Hi there,

Just waiting for confirmation from the supplier that I have the correct chemical properties etc... should be back to me today

Kind Regards

Jess

Quote:but as acetone does not clean off the pitch I had used, (off the shelf product)...I was interested in finding out more about the Cooksons product... Quote.

The cleanest way to get off pitch is to burn it to a cinder. If that is not on then the solvent to use is White Spirit such as painters use. You need some old rags as it gets a bit messy. In either case do it in a ventilated area, regards, Dennis.

That's another reason I've switched over to using red pitch - it's a pine-based pitch with slightly different working characteristics, but the flipside is a much nicer product to handle. It dissolves in meths for one thing.

Incidentally, the last batch of setters cement I bought smells shellac-based.

Dennis...Tried burning it off (outside)...left really troublesome residue...tried acetone...meths...white spirit...eventually stuck it in a paraffin bath...have to fish it out and wipe off pitch as it softens then repeat process...this seems to work whether burnt off or not...have not found a preferably way...

ps_bond...I have not used red pitch..,previously only the black stuff...seemed reasonably user friendly...in that it did not seem to cause too much irritation to skin...always a consideration when in contact various workshop/household products...couldn't say it had a particularly shellac aroma though...