Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Setters cement cooksons 999 681

Quote Originally Posted by noname View Post
    Dennis...Tried burning it off (outside)...left really troublesome residue...tried acetone...meths...white spirit...eventually stuck it in a paraffin bath...have to fish it out and wipe off pitch as it softens then repeat process...this seems to work whether burnt off or not...have not found a preferably way...
    I'm really surprised at that, because that is what I have done in the past: Burn the pitch residue to a cinder and then drop the piece into safety pickle while still hot. It leaves bits in your pickle, but they don't do any harm. Dennis.

It is a bit too big to put hot into acid bath...but, the staining from burnt pitch does come off if left in long enough in safety pickle though...prefer to clean with pumice powder and stiff bristle brush and a rinse down prior to placing in pickle...(cif/jif type cream cleaner and a toothbrush usually does it on smaller or lighter weight pieces). Still curious what the cookson's setters cement is though...

Quote Originally Posted by noname View Post
    Still curious what the cookson's setters cement is though...
    Hi!

Still waiting to hear back from the supplier, as it is prepared at our Cookson branch in Holland. Should hopefully hear back soon!

Cookson's Setters Cement is composed of Gum resin, Spar (which is crystallised minerals, similar to gypsum), Vaseline oil, paraffin wax and colour.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleGem View Post
    Cookson's Setters Cement is composed of Gum resin, Spar (which is crystallised minerals, similar to gypsum), Vaseline oil, paraffin wax and colour.
    Hello, Thank you for your perseverance in chasing up the information, It has, however, confused me further...I will go and have a read of ingredients/proportions...

waiting to learn, with interest