Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: August

Default August

Peridot is the birthstone for Leo Birthstone for August and for 16th Wedding Anniversary jewellery.

Wear a Peridot or for thee,
    No conjugal fidelity,
    The August born without this stone,
    `Tis said, must live unloved alone

Peridot is derived from the Greek word “faridat” which is directly translated as “gem.” It is pale green in colour and is composed of chrysolite. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysolite

The science?

Its chemical composition is a crystalline structure of magnesium iron silicate and is orthorhombic. The depth of it’s green colouring is dependant on the amount of iron contained in the crystal structure.

Peridot is often referred to as “poor man’s emerald” !

Interestingly, the peridot is one of the few gemstones that only forms in one colour but, similarly, is graded by colour, cut, clarity and carat weight.

The Philosophy?

Peridot is associated with love, truth, faithfulness and loyalty, as well as fame, dignity and protection (So it has a lot to answer for!)
    Many people use it to enhance prosperity, growth, and openness.
    “Witchdoctors” during medieval times believed it to have many healing properties which aided the lungs, lymph, breast and sinuses.

If you want know more about Peridot, a really interesting site I found is http://www.gemstone.org/index.php?op...-gem&Itemid=14

Also there is some good info at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peridot

Just Curious: Has anyone ever worked with this gemstone? Would love anyone to dig out some piccies

Default Peridot and the Suffragettes.

Yes, It is also the stone combined with amethyst and pearl, which was used in jewellery by suffragettes. Here is a pilot version of earrings made for a class project, where the pendants can be unhooked for day wear. I never got round to a final version. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 19-08-2011 at 10:23 AM.

But was it? There's a counterpoint here -
    http://www.antiquesjournal.com/Pages...9/jewelry.html

(with the caveat "I read it on the internet so it must be true" )

there is a shocking amount of fake 'suffragette' jewellery around. There is one seller on ebay I am pretty sure makes up the stuff using old glass beads. Some people are suckers.

Well, the spectre of Mrs Pankhurst is not standing at the foot of my bed making ghastly noises, so I think she's forgiven me. Dennis.

Sorry, I was rambling. one of my bete noirs is people flogging modern stuff off as antique.

I'm sure both Emily and Silvia are more than appeased by your lovely earrings.

Hi, I have made a ring with Peridot see my website www.nine2five-silver.co.uk its the one with the split and the stone between. I have also made some earrings for myself that are Peridot beads, so not skilful, just threading on with a silver bead inbetween. I wanted some to match a favourite T shirt. I love Peridot its my favourite stone, although Amethyst is my birthstone.
    While I am here, can anyone answer my question on tumblers. I bought a Loretone Double tumbler the other day and noticed that at both ends of the base bit there are two plastic discs one at each end, am I supposed to unscrew these, because when I put the barrels on, whether its one or two barrels, the end of the barrel rubs on this plastic disc which will eventually wear through the barrel, or am I doing something wrong.
    Pat

Hi Pat,
    I have just looked at your website and your work is looking good.
    I think you will find with barrelling machines, that as the contents shift around, the barrels tend to slip off one end or the other while rotating unless there is something thereto stop them. If you are still in doubt, ask your supplier.
    Regards, Dennis.

Thank you Dennis, we have a lot more things to go on there now, but have to take photos of them. My daughter who is the better photographer, doesn't get a lot of time as she works for the Donkey Sanctuary in Sidmouth, and the hours are quite long and she works some weekends too. You have to feed them and medicate the old ones 24/7 and that includes Christmas Day !!!!
    We have now got a hallmark, and on the Assay website it offers a tour around the assay offices which would be interesting,so we will be coming up to London probably in October and will bring up some stuff to be hallmarked at the same time, also to look around the bead shops etc. I think I have come up with an idea to stop the plastic disc from chaffing the rubber on the tumbler, if I stick some thin sheet steel on the bottom, it will make it a bit noisier but wont damage the drum. I may try taping a bit on first to see if it works.
    Thanks once again
    Pat

I agree with Dennis, the site is looking better than last time I saw it. There are some typos here and there though.

I'm envious of skill in cutting out perfectly straight slots in metal.