Quote Originally Posted by Kalorlo View Post
I'm going to be trawling through the camera websites today (my boyfriend's old digital camera with no macro mode is not cutting it), but I was wondering if anyone had any particular models of camera they liked/would recommend? Just to give me an idea of what I should be looking for. Do I want a separate macro lens at this stage, or just the ability to add one later should I need it?

I should be able to have a go with a friend's DSLR this weekend - I suspect his will be a little higher-end than I'm looking for, but it's always good to have a comparison!

I'm not an experienced photographer, but I can read the manual and am willing to spend some time fiddling with settings to get things right.
I recently bought my OH a Canon 1000D - an SLRD. It is brilliant and we can put a macro lens on as and when we can afford it. Having said that, the pics on my site were taken with my trusty old Nikon compact digital and I'm very pleased with them.

For lighting I used this little light tent, which I lit from each side with halogen lamps (only cheap ones). Halogen is good as the light is very close to daylight spectrum.