Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Photography - How to make your product look the best.

Quote Originally Posted by agent_44 View Post
    Good advice - especially regarding the tripod and non use of flash, but I'd have to disagree about macro mode. I wouldn't say never use it, but I would say it might not give the best results on all cameras. For example, on my DSLR I use the Aperture Priority setting at ISO 100 and I'll adjust the aperture for the kind of photo I am taking, and exposure for the background I'm using. This gives me much better results than macro mode would on my camera, although I do use a good macro lens. I also use manual focus whenever possible to get the picture just as I want it. The best thing anyone can do is play around with the settings on their particular camera till they get what they like out of it.

Also with lighting, its often best to make sure you diffuse your light source in some way. I use a light tent which can be home made or bought quite cheaply, especially somewhere like eBay. Or there are other methods such as placing a difuser over the light source itself.

Good lighting with a not great camera will give you better results that a great camera and not so great llighting, so getting that bit right is especially important IMO!
    often macro modes set a low depth of field (amount in focus in front and behind of point of focus) which is why they don't work as well (they are assuming you don't have a tripod and can't hand hold a longer exposure) as d.o.f. is crucial!
    Em

Quote Originally Posted by agent_44 View Post
    Jewellery photography is not simple by any means! Shiny and reflective things are a bugger to capture nicely, took me forever to be anywhere near satisfied with any of my photos.
    I've just written a blog that might have some tips people can use - with some rather inadequate photos that ideally need re-doing when I have chance - on photographing reflective surfaces - with a quick and dirty trick that works a treat for getting better reflective surfaces.

I can't post the URL as I'm new, but it's my most recent blog and the blog site should be in my sig.

Wow fab resource! Thanks, that'll keep me busy for a few hours!!

Quote Originally Posted by Boo View Post
    I've just written a blog that might have some tips people can use - with some rather inadequate photos that ideally need re-doing when I have chance - on photographing reflective surfaces - with a quick and dirty trick that works a treat for getting better reflective surfaces.

I can't post the URL as I'm new, but it's my most recent blog and the blog site should be in my sig.
    Neat site, Boo. I've bookmarked it for later.
    Di x