Thread: Attaching wood to silver

Default Attaching wood to silver

My sister really likes some post earings I made but she wears plugs so can't noramlly wear the sort of things I've been making. I thought it might be nice to attach some silver front designs to the wooden plugs she buys. The design has a rounded back so my plan was to make a concave dip for it to sit in and then attach it. Would glue be best and does anyone have any suggestions?

two part epoxy resin - you might need to pre-treat the wood if it's even remotely porous though. Alternatively, could you rivet or pin the silver in place?

I made some ebony Easter egg pendants last year and I used Devcon high strength epoxy resin to secure the silver fittings.
    The glue is easy to mix as it comes in a double syringe and it sets in 5 minutes.
    James

I go for a belt and braces approach - mechanical as well as adhesive. I like a good size pin on the back of the fitting that can be given a bit of tooth to help lock it in place (like annular nails) then glue everything in place. I prefer Devcon over Araldite, but if you look at some of the industrial adhesives there are even better ones around, albeit less readily available.

In a related application, Chris Reeve Knives stick wooden scales onto their knives with double-sided sticky tape, as their detractors like to point out. What's less frequently mentioned is that it's the same tape as is used to hold thermal tiles onto the space shuttle, so it's a bit beyond the likes of carpet tape.

I think I might get some dowel and make my own plugs to experiment with in copper. I googled annular nails and can't say I really understood what you are doing with the pin, I'm looking to attach a dish to the front so would likely attach whatever is going through the wood to the silver first. I'll take a picture of the design I plan to attach to the wood when I get home. Things are always more complicated than they initially appear