Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by moodlemoo View Post
    I think I would prefer an answer forum on Facebook itself. I have asked questions on here, and have had to trawl through a myriad of replies to get a very vague answer. If I asked a question on Facebook my answer would be clearly shown in the comments section. Also asking questions on Facebook also negates the problem with names being displayed, as if you are willing to place a question on the Cooksons wall, you are well aware your name will be shown.
    moodlemoo, I'm confused. As far as I can see you've asked one question here, which was answered pretty quickly, in the immediate next post, with a far from vague answer. I see you've also been able to help others with answers to their questions. Which is what forums are all about.

I, and perhaps others here, don't use facebook at all, so I'm commenting from a poor position, but from what I've seen, it certainly doesn't come across as having an easy q&a format. I'm afraid I don't understand the issue about name displays.

I have asked questions on here, and have had to trawl through a myriad of replies to get a very vague answer.
    You've asked precisely 1 question here - and that was most ably answered by George.

The forum is here, Facebook is over there and they're completely different beasts.

I think I would prefer an answer forum on Facebook itself. I have asked questions on here, and have had to trawl through a myriad of replies to get a very vague answer. If I asked a question on Facebook my answer would be clearly shown in the comments section. Also asking questions on Facebook also negates the problem with names being displayed, as if you are willing to place a question on the Cooksons wall, you are well aware your name will be shown.
    hang on, you have asked ONE question here, in someone else's thread and you got a clear and concise answer.

And unless moodlemoo is your real name, then you have more anonymity here than you do on FB. If you want people to know your real name on here then you can use it if you choose.

Also, if a FB page is really popular, it is a nightmare to search. The search function here is easy to use and efficient. And if you want replies to your questions saved, then you can be informed by email and save them in a specific cookies folder.

ETA: One day I will read the whole thread before posting

there is a good reason i prefer facebook to the forum, and i freely admit that i have asked questions and answered some, however as it clearly shown on this thread if anyone even dares to express an opinion to say they prefer one pplatform to another they are faced with hostility. i only mentioned about the name thing as it was already listed in the thread and i was just saying that if u want to post a comment on facebook your name will be there, personally i have posed questions on both and don't care who knows my name. i have also spoken to other cooksons facebook users who have used this forum and found themselves with an unanswered question and just been told to give an introduction to themselves.
    but again i will say this is just my opinion so can everybody just chill out?

...as it clearly shown on this thread if anyone even dares to express an opinion to say they prefer one pplatform to another they are faced with hostility.
    Actually, I think you'll find that's got far more to you coming out with arrant nonsense in claiming that your one question was several, and that "they" were answered vaguely. Frankly, it looks to me like you're trolling.

frankly it looks to me that as a 'super moderator' u feel u have some right to express hostility to other 'junior' members (in that read myself), and as a moderator i think u should be more impartial. however, clearly u think your opinion is the only thing that matters and i can honestly say i would have expected something better from a 'super moderator'. clearly i am disappointed, but then again i suppose i shouldn't have expected more from the forum.
    and by the way dictionary.com states that the definition of forum is "A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged", not where someone's opinion can be shot down by someone who thinks they are superior.
    also note that i will no longer be using this 'forum' as it is clearly just a list of certain people expressing their own views and damned be to anyone else. this is not an exchange of ideas, its more like a monarchy.

In no particular order:

1. You insulted the intelligence of the other forum members by lying.
    2. You insulted a specific member by describing their answer as vague.
    3. You've then attempted to troll the forum with your specious claims of victimisation, rather than apologising for doing something stupid.
    4. You've then been rude to a moderator.

So, you're absolutely correct - you won't be using the forum again.

Everyone, as has been stated before, is welcome (with the exception of spammers and trolls) - but the rules are there to be followed. The members here, as has already been clearly pointed out, engage in discussion because they want to; we answer questions because we want to. We aren't paid to do so, there is no right to an answer, there is no service level agreement - this is the nature of fora (or forums, whichever people prefer).

As a member, I contribute where I can.
    As a moderator, my role is to look out for the forum - or more importantly, its members. Nothing else.
    Last edited by ps_bond; 09-09-2011 at 05:43 AM.

I think we should all chill out too. I don't really think Moodlemoo intended to be offensive with her original comments. Sometimes with forums we have to examine our words from every angle before we type them, particularly if we haven't already built up a relationship with the other members. I know I've said things before that seemed quite innocuous at the time but afterwards I've thought "why did I say that?". It's quite scary introducing yourself to a whole load of people who you think have skills way beyond yours and all seem to know each other. I'd hate to think that people reading this thread may be put off from joining the forum. It's hard to ignore the fact that there are many people missing from this forum who were here at the beginning. Many of them are people I really miss, who made this a much friendlier and more informative place. We should be asking ourselves why this has happened.

There is no context within the written word (as I think I've said before). Without that context, it is doubly important for the writer to try their hardest to make sure their comments are not misconstrued. Having caused offence, it is then doubly important to try to rectify the situation.

And yes, I miss many of them too. I'd be happy to see them back here.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    There is no context within the written word (as I think I've said before). Without that context, it is doubly important for the writer to try their hardest to make sure their comments are not misconstrued. Having caused offence, it is then doubly important to try to rectify the situation.

And yes, I miss many of them too. I'd be happy to see them back here.
    even me Peter? :-)