Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34

Thread: Welcome!

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    cotswolds
    Posts
    3,211

    Default

    I find this whole thing very odd.

    Firstly, if people want to get advice from a forum, why not just point them in the direction of the forum and let them ask themselves? Otherwise, Chinese whispers will inevitably set in, and someone will be expecting someone else to take responsibility for information given by yet another person.

    I also wonder who they think they're getting the answers from. If they are asking Cooksons (who they probably think should know something about the products they sell) are they aware that these answers are coming from a mixture of professional and amateur enthusiasts, and in many cases may simply be a case of personal preference?

    There are plenty more aspects to this particular can of worms that I haven't touched on yet.....

  2. #12
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Tyne & Wear
    Posts
    106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    I find this whole thing very odd.

    Firstly, if people want to get advice from a forum, why not just point them in the direction of the forum and let them ask themselves? Otherwise, Chinese whispers will inevitably set in, and someone will be expecting someone else to take responsibility for information given by yet another person.

    I also wonder who they think they're getting the answers from. If they are asking Cooksons (who they probably think should know something about the products they sell) are they aware that these answers are coming from a mixture of professional and amateur enthusiasts, and in many cases may simply be a case of personal preference?

    I think this is a very valid point to raise.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,744

    Default

    This is a really bad idea. I strongly suggest that any customers posting questions on FB be pointed in the direction of the forum or you simply answer the questions directly on FB without asking here first. Whilst I doubt very much that I know enough to contribute, if I were one of the experienced jewellers here, I think I'd be rather pi$$ed off at being mined for my expertise in this way.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Central London
    Posts
    7,450

    Default

    The OED defines Forum as a meeting or medium for exchange of views. I am now totally convinced that anyone wishing to participate should register and post their own questions in the hope that they will take part in the discussions.

    Brains trust a group of experts who give impromptu answers to questions in front of an audience. This we are not.

    Dennis.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Romsey
    Posts
    4,789

    Default

    I think it's fairly clear this one is, shall we say, not to the taste of many on the forum? (Going for the mastery of understatement again!)

    So what would work? Would pointing Facebook users to any existing discussion on their question, coupled with the explicit suggestion that they could/should join here?

    Ideas gratefully received

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,744

    Default

    maybe the FB page could say something along the lines of:

    need help or advice? why not join our friendly forum and talk to jewellers of all levels from beginners to master craftsmen?

    To be frank, the posts relating to the FB and about the gemstones read like spam.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    maybe the FB page could say something along the lines of:

    need help or advice? why not join our friendly forum and talk to jewellers of all levels from beginners to master craftsmen?

    To be frank, the posts relating to the FB and about the gemstones read like spam.
    I will definitely change my promotion of the forum, and thank you for the suggestion of approach.

    Would you be able to message me, elaborating your point about the gemstones thread and possible suggestions? Would greatly appreciate it.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    I think it's fairly clear this one is, shall we say, not to the taste of many on the forum? (Going for the mastery of understatement again!)

    So what would work? Would pointing Facebook users to any existing discussion on their question, coupled with the explicit suggestion that they could/should join here?

    Ideas gratefully received
    Really like the idea of direction to existing discussion to.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    leicester
    Posts
    6

    Default

    I think I would prefer an answer forum on Facebook itself. I have asked questions on here, and have had to trawl through a myriad of replies to get a very vague answer. If I asked a question on Facebook my answer would be clearly shown in the comments section. Also asking questions on Facebook also negates the problem with names being displayed, as if you are willing to place a question on the Cooksons wall, you are well aware your name will be shown.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    183

    Default

    Thanks for your feedback.

    We are going to have a mixture of both as I still strongly believe that people who ask questions on the forum are able to access a whole host of opinions, advice and help from like-minded individuals who all have different expertise and experience. It depends on the nature of the question though.

    Everyone can freely post questions on Facebook to receive both answers from ourselves here at Cooksons but also our fanbase.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •