Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Welcome!

I find this whole thing very odd.

Firstly, if people want to get advice from a forum, why not just point them in the direction of the forum and let them ask themselves? Otherwise, Chinese whispers will inevitably set in, and someone will be expecting someone else to take responsibility for information given by yet another person.

I also wonder who they think they're getting the answers from. If they are asking Cooksons (who they probably think should know something about the products they sell) are they aware that these answers are coming from a mixture of professional and amateur enthusiasts, and in many cases may simply be a case of personal preference?

There are plenty more aspects to this particular can of worms that I haven't touched on yet.....

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    I find this whole thing very odd.

Firstly, if people want to get advice from a forum, why not just point them in the direction of the forum and let them ask themselves? Otherwise, Chinese whispers will inevitably set in, and someone will be expecting someone else to take responsibility for information given by yet another person.

I also wonder who they think they're getting the answers from. If they are asking Cooksons (who they probably think should know something about the products they sell) are they aware that these answers are coming from a mixture of professional and amateur enthusiasts, and in many cases may simply be a case of personal preference?

I think this is a very valid point to raise.

This is a really bad idea. I strongly suggest that any customers posting questions on FB be pointed in the direction of the forum or you simply answer the questions directly on FB without asking here first. Whilst I doubt very much that I know enough to contribute, if I were one of the experienced jewellers here, I think I'd be rather pi$$ed off at being mined for my expertise in this way.

The OED defines Forum as a meeting or medium for exchange of views. I am now totally convinced that anyone wishing to participate should register and post their own questions in the hope that they will take part in the discussions.

Brains trust a group of experts who give impromptu answers to questions in front of an audience. This we are not.

Dennis.

I think it's fairly clear this one is, shall we say, not to the taste of many on the forum? (Going for the mastery of understatement again!)

So what would work? Would pointing Facebook users to any existing discussion on their question, coupled with the explicit suggestion that they could/should join here?

Ideas gratefully received

maybe the FB page could say something along the lines of:

need help or advice? why not join our friendly forum and talk to jewellers of all levels from beginners to master craftsmen?

To be frank, the posts relating to the FB and about the gemstones read like spam.

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    maybe the FB page could say something along the lines of:

need help or advice? why not join our friendly forum and talk to jewellers of all levels from beginners to master craftsmen?

To be frank, the posts relating to the FB and about the gemstones read like spam.
    I will definitely change my promotion of the forum, and thank you for the suggestion of approach.

Would you be able to message me, elaborating your point about the gemstones thread and possible suggestions? Would greatly appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    I think it's fairly clear this one is, shall we say, not to the taste of many on the forum? (Going for the mastery of understatement again!)

So what would work? Would pointing Facebook users to any existing discussion on their question, coupled with the explicit suggestion that they could/should join here?

Ideas gratefully received
    Really like the idea of direction to existing discussion to.

I think I would prefer an answer forum on Facebook itself. I have asked questions on here, and have had to trawl through a myriad of replies to get a very vague answer. If I asked a question on Facebook my answer would be clearly shown in the comments section. Also asking questions on Facebook also negates the problem with names being displayed, as if you are willing to place a question on the Cooksons wall, you are well aware your name will be shown.

Thanks for your feedback.

We are going to have a mixture of both as I still strongly believe that people who ask questions on the forum are able to access a whole host of opinions, advice and help from like-minded individuals who all have different expertise and experience. It depends on the nature of the question though.

Everyone can freely post questions on Facebook to receive both answers from ourselves here at Cooksons but also our fanbase.