Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tumbler Barrels

Yes, Thank you Pat, who is Dave Merry?

No Tanya, I got my shot from Sutton Tools, as that seemed the best option at the time. It came in separate bags and stupidly I mixed it and then had to separate it out again, as described above. George has suggested that Rio Grande is now the best one to go for. Dennis.

I got mine from Manchester Minerals and I haven't had a problem with the pins in the mixed shot. I got my tumbler from somewhere else, but they were really helpful with advice on all the essential kit to go with it.

Someone mentioned tumbling/polishing stones (not gems) in the tumbler. I'm sure the Manchester Minerals site mentions it takes between 2 to 4 weeks to tumble and then another week to polish. I know it made me glad that I can tumble silver in an hour or two. BTW, how long does everyone leave their silver tumbling for? I've been using mine for nearly a year and I don't think any two batches have been tumbled for the same length of time!

Adrienne.

My favourite shot has always been the mix from Connie Fox - who no longer ships overseas (apparently). I believe it is the same version that Rio sell, and the batch I've had from them certainly appears to be just as good.

Adrienne, I tumble metals for all sorts of times. The absolute minimum time is probably about 20 minutes to half an hour if I'm in a real hurry. Most pieces are left overnight, but I happily leave things for 48 hours if I don't need the tumbler for anything else.

Dave Merry is Head of Assay Office Training & Trading Standards Liaison, he had to do the "Apprenticeship" thing, and has been working for the London Assay Office for nearly 40 years apparently. He told us about the history of the London Office and it was fascinating. Looking around all the stalls at the Goldsmith Fair we had brain ache, one woman who was buying a necklace asked how much, (just a plain silver necklace, or could have been platinum I suppose but no stones of any sort) and the assistant said 15, when I looked over her shoulder it was £15,000 and the customer said oh that's quite a good price and bought it. Afterwards I wondered if it was real or a set up, if it was done to impress, it worked.

Re: Dave Merry, it was 40 years in July. He gave a group of us a tour round the Assay Office a couple of months ago - absolutely fascinating. I could get lost for weeks in the excellent library as well!
    Elaine at Mead Moon
    Mead Moon
    My Etsy shop