Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tumbler Barrels

I'll my opinions to Dennis experiences.

1. Rubber barrels are a far better bet all round. Quieter, easier to open and close and more efficient.
    2. Rubber barrels do not need fins
    3. needles in cheap mixed shot leave marks, well rounded needles in good mixed shot are fantastic for getting into places that other shapes don't reach.

I never tumble stones which are lower on the mohs scale than stainless steel (at around 5.5) or those which are organic, porous, or treated. Other than that, I happily throw just about anything - if it's not strong enough to stand up to the barrelling process, it's probably not strong enough to be worn anyway.

Dennis and George,
    Thank you both so much for your advice - it is much appreciated by an amateur such as myself.
    Tanya

Shot Down!

Here is a message from Yatayu received yesterday: Dennis, I am sorry we are currently only shipping within the US. Rio Grande ships abroad. So sorry. Connie

What next? Dennis.

http://www.riogrande.com/MemberArea/...free_text=shot

The shipping will be higher than Connie's, but I believe it's the same product.

Might be worth a try? Since it's still under the threshold for customs, there would still be no VAT payable to import.

I got my stainless shot from Manchester Minerals, but it is quite small, although beautifully shaped. I think I probably need some bigger stuff and Barrelbrite is the next thing on my order together with some decent flat nosed pliers, mine are a bit clunky for doing jumprings, and as I filed away the ridges on the inside because I didnt want to mark the silver, they slip a bit, well on copper practice stuff they do anyway. I have bought some half hard silver wire to have a go at it properly when I get a bit more proficient, I am not sure if its my lack of distance vision or crap pliers that is to blame but I am struggling to make a chain maille bracelet with the 1mm copper wire I bought. Keep trying, already spent most of this afternoon making about an inch and that looked as if it had been bashed with something heavy. At least I can cut them now even if I cant do much with them. Hahahahaha

I've spent so much time trying to blunten my needles, grinding them and tumbling them with rocks, that I'll bear with them a bit longer. But if they get on my wick, I'll wait for Pat's report on the Manchester Minerals ones , or go to Rio.

Finally bitten the bullet and ordered the mixed shot from Rio. Will report back after it arrives (although have no comparison as this is a first purchase). Hopefully the tumbler I have will work too!

Well Tanya, mine still leaves minute pinpricks due to the needles, although not as bad after my efforts at bluntening. I am even considering a second session with needle-less shot to offset this. regards, Dennis.

Hello Dennis, you are back then, hope you had a nice time. The Goldsmith Fair was spectacular, and met Dave Merry who was very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Well Tanya, mine still leaves minute pinpricks due to the needles, although not as bad after my efforts at bluntening. I am even considering a second session with needle-less shot to offset this. regards, Dennis.
    Did you get the same stuff then Dennis? Just waiting for delivery charge so can still cancel!