Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: books...

Default books...

Hi,

I am looking to get a couple of beginners silversmithing books.... Money is seriously tight so I don't want to get it wrong but the interenet is the cheapest and that means you can't see them.

Could some people tell me, say their top 3 beginners/basics books please,

I really appreciate any help you could give!

Sarah

Hi Sarah - when you say "silversmithing", I immediately think Feingold & Seitz... What are you looking to make/learn?

Hi Sarah,
    When I was indentured as a goldsmith apprentice at the Goldsmiths Hall, I was given three books, one was a bible, the second was a book of hallmarks and the third was The Silversmith's Manual by Bernard Cuzner, that was back in 1960 and I see that this silversmith's starter book is still available for £11.19 at Amazon, see; http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silversmiths...1940281&sr=1-1 ,this will be a good start of your library.
    Good luck,
    James
    James Miller FIPG

Peter,

Mainly rings etc. but I am on a serious budget so can't afford to do a course... I am after a basic kit and techniques kind of thing. I have done some pmc/metal clay work but would like to expand into 'real' silver....

James,

thank you!

I did spot that one and to have it reccomended is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Mainly rings etc.
    Junks McGrath's Rings Book is a very good resource for that; Cuzner is the other silversmithing book I like a lot - my copy is around the same vintage as James' although I haven't had mine from new

Sarah, the Cuzner book is really about basic silversmithing. If it is jewellery you are interested in making then a silversmith's manual would not be much use to you.
    Check out Jinks McGrath's book of Basic Jewellery Making Techniques costs circa £9 from Amazon.
    James

so that is a two for two on the Jinks McGraths books and it is already in my Amazon basket.

Thank you both very much,

Sarah

Hi Sara,

Books for beginners inevitably have a section on workshops and tools, so be prepared for some duplication. If you still have room to consider one more, that includes techniques as well as projects, I would suggest you look at Two-In One Manuals Jewellery, By Madeline Coles. Dennis.

I am doing well on instinct because I looked at that one two! Great to have it backed up. Thank you :-)