Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: there must be an easier way...

Eurotool do a range of hole punches for smaller holes (and oval and square). Again, they're for thinner metal though. P word have them.

Oops, sorry, I didn't read the bit about the thickness of the metal. You'll be very welcome, just let me know when. I was down your way today doing the Cape Cornwall craft fair. I've done it for years and sometimes it's quite good. There's a load of tat there though, so this year I've just done up a load of really cheap stuff in little bags.

Default Drilling Holes.

Hi Liz,

As the members have already said, start with a good sharp drill, or you will just get a burnished pit. Also for an accurate hole, I would do as George does and widen it in stages. If you are going to do lots of this in future it is a good idea to get a vertical drill stand for your handpiece, which greatly simplifies matters.

Alternatively send a request to the North Pole for a Christmas gift of a mini bench press. I have had my Proxxon in regular use for 16 years and it hasn’t even needed a new belt yet. S&M in Leather Lane has had discounted offers on these, but you need the three jaw chuck, which is an optional extra, and you need to back your metal with a chunk of wood to reduce a tendency for the metal to spin. Dennis.Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by lesley View Post
    Eurotool do a range of hole punches for smaller holes (and oval and square). Again, they're for thinner metal though. P word have them.
    These punches, do they also create little round circles of metal? cause I do need something like that!

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    Oops, sorry, I didn't read the bit about the thickness of the metal. You'll be very welcome, just let me know when. I was down your way today doing the Cape Cornwall craft fair. I've done it for years and sometimes it's quite good. There's a load of tat there though, so this year I've just done up a load of really cheap stuff in little bags.
    heh, I was helping my friend carry her enamelled stuff in today. We could have passed each other! I used to work there so I'm rather averse to the place. I think I have only been to the fair once and that was last year because my mum wanted to buy me a huge wooden bowl and be sure I liked it. I live almost opposite, you might have heard me cursing my drills from my workshop.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Hi Liz,

As the members have already said, start with a good sharp drill, or you will just get a burnished pit. Also for an accurate hole, I would do as George does and widen it in stages. If you are going to do lots of this in future it is a good idea to get a vertical drill stand for your handpiece, which greatly simplifies matters.

Alternatively send a request to the North Pole for a Christmas gift of a mini bench press. I have had my Proxxon in regular use for 16 years and it hasn’t even needed a new belt yet. S&M in Leather Lane has had discounted offers on these, but you need the three jaw chuck, which is an optional extra, and you need to back your metal with a chunk of wood to reduce a tendency for the metal to spin. Dennis.Regards.
    I think it's because the drills are old and well used. I should replace them but hold onto them for sentimental reasons. I would love a bench press and have simple type that you fit a drill into, but none of the drills i have will fit it. And since we have 4, I'm loathe to buy yet another one. If sales do take off, then I think I will have to invest in better tools. and maybe some lessons...

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    These punches, do they also create little round circles of metal? cause I do need something like that!
    Yes, but they're tiny! What would you do with them?

I make a bit of money by re-enamelling old jewellery. Sometimes I get butterflies which have little gold dots for the wings and whilst I recover as many as possible from the acid, it would be useful to make my own ones. I've tried all kinds of ways, from using a nail punch to sawing them out.

I'm buying one!

A way of making tiny dots and disks with no waste at all, is to slice the correct diameter wire using a tube cutting gauge and a fine saw blade. You can even modify your tube cutting gauge (colloquially known as a tube cutter) by taking off the outer plate and rubbing down the spacer, so that a thin blade fits more closely. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    A way of making tiny dots and disks with no waste at all, is to slice the correct diameter wire using a tube cutting gauge and a fine saw blade. You can even modify your tube cutting gauge (colloquially known as a tube cutter) by taking off the outer plate and rubbing down the spacer, so that a thin blade fits more closely. Dennis.
    I'd thought about cutting them from wire, but didn't think I'd be able to cut them thin enough. also, I think that 2mm gold wire would be a bit pricey. I'm going to have a bash at melting it into teeny tiny balls and bash it flat, but don't know how to get it all the same size. I'm wondering if gold sheet which is 0.12mm thick will be thin enough. maybe I could use those hole punches on that?

That's probably the best plan. I make a load of jump rings and then melt them into balls. That way, they're all the same size.

oooh! good idea! If I made teeny tiny jump rings, then that would work...