Thread: Swanstrom Link Forming Pliers

Default Swanstrom Link Forming Pliers

Hello,

i have just received these pliers and have made a few basic things with them, was just wondering if anyone has any further ideas of methods of using them?

regards

Stuart

Not what I do Stu, but I presume you've looked at this page? http://www.google.co.uk/#sclient=psy...w=1262&bih=617

How's things in Wales? regards, Dennis.

An entertaining tool and not one I'd seen before. Not something I'd be likely to find a use for though - looks like a very upmarket Thing-a-ma-jig.

It is similar to a thing a ma jig, just allows to stretch the links out. it basically allows me to get exact repeats of things rather than just similar. I also bough a hydraulic press and some cutting dies at the same time, the press is definately getting more use afterall it is a real tool.

Dennis, things in Wales are good at the moment thanks.

Stuart

Hi Stu,

I could not help much with the link forming, but I hope you won't mind if I post a few notes on the hydraulic press. Forgive me if you know all this already.

The book Hydraulic Die Forming for Jewellers & Metalsmiths by Susan Kingsley has lots of information about this.
    Because urethane is so expensive I use neoprene from the Pentonville Rubber company for non-conforming dies. Some less obvious uses for me are:

1. To press down square rings and jump rings if they turn out not quite flat.
    2. To flatten the join when wires are soldered in a cross shape.
    3. For making oval spoon shapes in an oval doming block, because I find using the oval punches provided too challenging.

Regards, Dennis.