Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Price of Sterling

Default Price of Sterling

I didn't think it would happen... I've just had a quote turned down on the price of the sterling alone. From now on it's small pieces only...

We'll be re-cycling baked bean tins soon, as predicted by Neve: http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/hot...y-designs.html.
    Last edited by Dennis; 25-07-2011 at 05:51 AM. Reason: giving credit.

It is only going to go up and up. I have only approx 1 in three quotes coming back to place an order. And very rarely for gold. :-(

It's getting interesting at the moment - that's a jump of about 20% in the past month. That said, there was quite a bit on display at Art in Action over the weekend (although some pieces made me think I should revisit my prices). Similarly, there was a lot of lower-priced (mass produced) silver on display at the Game Fair too, so it's still about.

Talking to some jewellers the other week, there's a feeling that the price rises will bump a lot of the PMC users in particular out of the market (given the premium there is on the material over and above "normal" silver) - what do other people think?

I had the same thoughts at Art in Action Peter! Even with the horrific increase in the price of silver, I was astonished at some of the prices being asked (and seemingly achieved).

I don't use metal clay, but I looked at the price of silver clay the other day and wondered why anyone would want to buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    I had the same thoughts at Art in Action Peter! Even with the horrific increase in the price of silver, I was astonished at some of the prices being asked (and seemingly achieved).
    The particular examples that stood out for me were some raised bowls and anticlastic bracelets (of course!); knowing the material costs and labour time quite well - and being able to work to a similar level - made for a good benchmark, especially when they weren't by names I recognised (although that could be me as much as them!).

On the other hand, it was good to see people seemingly prepared to pay for a decent level of craftsmanship and not need to go through the all-too-common liturgy of "yes, I *know* Argos sell silver jewellery cheaper, this isn't it...".

I started out with silver clay, but just can't afford to buy any at all now, so am using sterling (in tragically small quantities), but I am still using copper clay... for now!

I think it's a terrible shame that such talented jewellery makers are being turned down for the price of their art. I am equally annoyed that just as I wanted to give things a go myself the prices have gone through the roof. Even using silver wire mistakes are costly.
    I had already bought a Silver clay kit but can I warrant the price of such a small lump of clay? No I don't think I can, sadly.
    So what to do now???

Kim x

That's why a lot more people are using other materials.

It's always difficult to know how well people are selling at shows as no-one likes to admit they're doing badly. Most people, if they're honest, will say that shows have been bad this year. I've only done 4 so far this year and 2 have been bad, one OK and one very good. I've got several coming up in the next few months and I'm dreading them. My problem is that living where I do, I have to travel long distances for the good shows, which makes them very expensive, so I have to sell a lot before I start to make a profit.

Default Life After Silver.

Talent will out Kim, so there is no need to give up. If you visit a developing country you will find crafts people making beautiful gifts, ornaments and jewellery from found objects and materials that cost nothing.

You can also still use: copper, brass and stainless steel, which can be worked like precious metals and
    aluminium, titanium, niobium, which need to be cold connected.
    Then there are: glass, resin, wood and leather.

Below are free gemstones made of shattered safety glass. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 26-07-2011 at 03:58 PM.