Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to fix a bracelet

Default How to fix a bracelet

Hi all

A friend has asked me to repair her very much loved bracelet and I don't really have a clue what I am doing so I am seeking advice ...

Its a bracelet with oblong semi precious chippings on it and has 7 strings of them attached to a multi link clasp (I think that's what its called) I can see that the string that the beads were on has worn away and since I have limited tools and materials at the moment I figured I could put it back together on some tigertail wire which I have done but I'm not sure its the best idea?

Also I can't seem to be able to place the crimping bead on so that the stones go all the way to the clasp (so no wire is showing) I am using crimping beads that you just thread on.

Could anybody advise on what is the best string to use for this and how to make the finish better i.e stones to the end and it looking even and nice.

Also how to get each of the seven strings all totally even on the clasp?

I hope this makes sense
    Michelle x

Could you post a piccy? Not quite sure what you're getting at!!

That's the trouble. I also can't get my stupid camera to work at the mo grrrr.

I'm not sure if this will help but the clasp is about 2" in length and along the one side (not the side that closes) it looks like 7 jump rings have been soldered onto it where the string is to be threaded through and connected to the other side of the clasp which also has the seven jump rings.

I guess I am asking for tips on how to get a neat finish when connecting the strings of stones onto the clasp as I seem to end up with about 1cm of space between where the beads end and the clasp starts which I think is due to my heavy hands or lack of technique or both. I need to work out how to close that gap and also make sure each string is connected in equal lengths to the clasp on both sides.

Hmmm if this isnt clear I shall have to loan a camera from somebody I think!

Michelle x

Ummm...I think I know what you are getting at. What kind of crimps are you using?
    I've done a multistrand bracelet before but didn't use crimps. I think I used nylon string and thread guards. (I'm afraid i forgot to photograph it before I gave it away). The idea is you thread the protector on the end, loop the protector around the ring on the clasp and then the thread goes back through the protector and some of the beads. If you pull it will all tighten and you can then knot a few times and hide the knot inside a bead.
    Found this piccy that kinda shows the thread protector. I get mine from a local bead shop in Southampton.
    If you are using tigertail then you could just loop the tigertail around the rings on the clasp and back through a couple of beads, pull tight then finish off.

Does any of this make sense or am I waffling randomly?!?

Bit tired to rumage through my beads at the mo but could put some step by step pics up tomorrow if thats any good for you...

Yeah, I was going to suggest thread protectors. They're also called wire guardians.They provide a much neater finish and when you feed the wire back down through the crimp and the beads you have more control over the tightness.

Thank you both for your response.

I will look into that - Gemma don't worry about the step by steps I will see if I can figure it out from here but thankyou for the offer!

Should I still use the tigertail wire then?
    Michelle x

Well tigertail is pretty tough so you should be able to get away without wire guardians (thanks Lesley- I'd wondered what there proper names were ) if you still want to use it. Depends on if its too thick to go back through the beads really.
    Offer still here if you decide you need it tomorrow

So if I use tigertail wire how would I make the ends tight? I'm thinking that maybe I should go for a different material and use the wire guardian. I'd just need to learn the knots but I'm sure there would be something online to help with that.
    Michelle x

After threading all your beads put the tigertail through a crimp, then the hoop on the clasp, then back through the crimp and a few beads. Squish the crimp and trim the excess. You probably have to use crimps as tigertail doesn't knot easily

Agree with Gemma, I'd stick with beading wire. I'd go with something better quality than tigertail though - at least 21 strands and ideally 49 for better drape. Have a look at flex-rite or softflex. Anything knottable will be vulnerable to fraying with gemstones, which can have quite sharp edges. You'll have to make sure you choose a thickness that will pass through the stones at least once, and ideally twice through at least the few beads at either end of the string.

I tend to use tornado crimps or magical crimping pliers and sterling 2x2mm tube crimps. And wire guardians simply because they look nicer. Adding a crimp cover if you haven't used a magic crimping plier can help the crimp beads blend in better with the beads. You need to leave only a tiny amount of slack in a bracelet unless the beads are very big.