Thread: Moderating rules...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Moderating rules...

Can someone clarify why some of our posts are hanging waiting for moderators? I notice that two of our most valuable contributors (Dennis & James) have had posts blocked pending approval?

It would be most disappointing if posting links to suppliers other than Cookson is the cause. I am very happy with the excellent service offered by our hosts but they are a long way from stocking more than 30% of the goods necessary for general jewellery making.

Nothing that nefarious Joe - it's an automatic thing targetting links rather than suppliers. It just seems to be a little over-enthusiastic at the moment...

I've not seen *all* that many legit posts hit, but it's blooming annoying when it is hitting respected contributors. On the flipside, it did get a couple of posts from a spammer a couple of days ago.

Just had another thought - if it *were* a nefarious scheme, it wouldn't be much good given I don't know about it and blithely authorise posts from people I recognise (having checked out the links, naturally).

So... couldn't a php ace tinker a little with the criteria, perhaps based on number of posts?

I'll have a look, but as a mere mod I can't access it. I'm not sure how configurable it is yet - any mods to the code will probably get hit by the next patch. TBH, I'm not worried by the time it takes for me to authorise posts, it's far from onerous; however, if people are significantly offended by the actions of a twitchy subroutine I shall see what can be done.

Right - Dave's got to the bottom of it; the anti-spam filter was checking all posts, rather than just those of new posters; that's been changed, so *hopefully* it shouldn't play silly beggars again.

why we have to wait for post our views after activation of account.

This forum is fortunate in having very little spam, partly due to the rules and also the diligence of our moderators. Once a spammer gets going they can for their own perverse amusement plaster forums with rubbish.

The short answer is security. Dennis.